Pre-sessional EAP Tutor
Pre-sessional EAP Tutor
Job ID: 014686
Salary: £37,297 - £40,414 per annum, depending on experience (pro rata), inclusive of London Allowance
Closing date: 02-May-2021
Business unit: King's Foundations Department: King's Foundations Contact details: Jessica Cooper - Head of Pre-sessional and Short Courses , email@example.com
Strand Campus Professional and support services
This is an exciting opportunity for experienced EFL and EAP tutors to join King’s Foundations to teach on our Pre-sessional programmes in summer 2021.
There will be online, on campus and combination options for the 11 and 6 week programmes. Teaching will be provided through synchronous and asynchronous sessions on campus and online and training for tutors new to EAP will be provided through our supportive mentor scheme and on-course CPD programme.
You will work alongside our friendly permanent tutors, and you will find all our students to be highly motivated and keen to develop their English language and academic skills with you.
The role holder will be expected to complete teaching, assessment, administration and pastoral duties to a high standard to ensure that the students on the programme receive the best possible student experience and progress onto their degree programmes able to fulfil their potential.
Salary will be dependent on qualifications and experience. We offer 12- and 7- week full-time contracts, with all contracts including a paid induction week.
In addition to this, Pre-sessional EAP Tutors will receive paid holiday time in lieu of annual leave, which equates to the following approximate pay per contract:
12-week contract: £9,505 to £10,299
7-week contract: £5,544 to £6,008
Precise salary will be dependent on relevant qualifications and experience.
Successful candidates must be UK based and available to be on campus in central London for the final 7 weeks of their contract.
Interviews will be held on a rolling basis from February. As positions fill up quickly, we encourage you to apply as early as possible.
The posts will be offered on a fixed-term contracts basis as follows:
14th June – 3rd September (12-week contract)
19th July – 3rd September (7-week contract)
This is a full-time post - 100% full time equivalent. Please make sure you are available for the entire period
- To deliver innovative teaching online and on campus as per requirements of the timetable and in line with online and blended Pre-sessional course norms.
- To provide a high-quality student experience, including through the provision of timely, actionable feedback and advice.
- To take responsibility for managing all aspects of teaching, assessment, administration and tutorials to the required standard.
- To act as personal tutor to a group of students, the vast majority of whom will be postgraduates and from East Asia, for pastoral and academic support. NB. Personal tutors will have additional safeguarding duties for students who are under 18 – support will be given for this.
- To communicate with other EAP tutors, Pre-sessional coordination team and professional services staff in a professional, collaborative, collegiate manner to ensure the effective delivery of the Pre-sessional programme(s).
- To engage fully with internal and external quality assurance processes.
- To strive for and promote excellence in teaching and learning as an individual and as a member of teaching teams, using communicative pedagogic approaches.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties that may be requested by the Head of Department, Head of Programme, Deputy Director, Coordinators or Assistant Coordinator(s).
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent
- TEFL-I qualified
- Level 7 teaching qualification (e.g. DELTA/PGCE) (Desirable for G5)
- Postgraduate degree, preferably in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or other relevant area – either completed or near (two-thirds) completion (Desirable for G5)
- Experience of teaching on university-based EAP courses, preferably on Pre-sessional courses (Desirable for G5)
- Experience of teaching, including experience of planning and delivering English language and skills sessions online and face to face
- Ability to accurately assess learners’ English language proficiency and competence in the four skills of reading, writing, speaking and listening and provide timely, constructive, actionable feedback on learners’ work.
- Ability to provide appropriate pastoral support to learners of varying ages and from diverse backgrounds
- Fluent command of written and spoken English
- An awareness of equal opportunity issues within a diverse and multi-cultural environment and commitment to inclusivity.
- Experience of administering high-stakes summative assessments
King's Foundations is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age and other protected status as required by law.