Senior Research Investigator
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary
The Research Investigator Sr (SRI) will act in a leadership role, overseeing and designing advanced experiments. He/She will assist the Principal Investigator and play a leading role in developing a research program in the advancement of specific area of study and will play a crucial role both in all aspects of research products including development, implementation, and data analysis.
- Performs daily operational, financial and scientific activities of assigned research facilities and maintains an orderly and safe laboratory.
- Ensures lab is in conformance with applicable safety standards.
- Conduct investigation of host-microbe interactions and inflammation at systemic and mucosal surfaces, as well as the development of novel therapeutic strategies to control inflammation-induced tissue damage.
- Provide training and oversight of lab personnel and workflow as well as mentoring of undergraduate and post-doctoral students.
- Manuscript and grant preparation and writing of IACUC, IRB, and MTA applications will also be performed. Senior Research Investigator must demonstrate the ability to analyze and present data in professional "publication ready" format and to be able to independently prepare manuscripts and grant writings for submission.
- Responsible for preparing the lab for annual inspections (EHRS, PAM, AAALAC).
- Highly advanced professional discipline. M.D., Ph. D., or equivalent doctoral degree and 5-7 years of post-doctoral and laboratory experience is required
- Excellent writing and communication skills are essential.
- Extensive experience in immunological techniques, such as Flow Cytometry, is required.
- Expertise in basic and advanced molecular biology techniques such as cloning, PCR, siRNA is required.
- Experience with mouse models of disease is required.
- Prior experience in working with periodontics or other mucosal inflammatory diseases is preferred.
- mastery of protein expression and purification techniques is preferred.
- Preferred candidates will have high-impact publications in the field of immunology.
Office, library, computer room; Requires extensive safety training; Exposure to chemicals; Requires protective devices
Typically sitting at a desk or table; Occasional lifting 24-50 lb. Typically standing or walking; Intermittently sitting/standing/stooping
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
School of Dental Medicine
$35,568.00 - $204,000.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.