Senior HR Operations Specialist
Stanford University is one of the world’s premier academic and research institutions, devoting tremendous intellectual and physical resources toward the betterment of humanity. As a major Silicon Valley employer, Stanford seeks people committed to excellence and to improving our world. In turn, the university is committed to supporting its employees as they develop their careers and enrich their lives.
Join the HR Operations team as we serve Stanford to:
- Increase the efficiency and accuracy of transaction processing
- Relieve administrative burden for those who rarely use HR systems
- Share best practices across Stanford’s distributed HR functions
- Safeguard the reliability of Stanford’s electronic data records
- Design and improve operational processes and procedures
Stanford University Human Resources (UHR) is seeking a Senior HR Operations Specialist who has experience in high volume HR transaction work with the highest degree of accuracy. As an employee within a center of expertise on transactions and operations, the incumbent will also promote best practices across the wide Stanford HR community. This role works in partnership with local HR Management and central University HR office staff. The position will ensure timely and accurate processing of job changes, job postings, hires, terminations, position changes, salary changes and additional transactions and operational work.
The ideal candidate will possess the ability to identify opportunities to improve operational processes in order to be more efficient and accurate while maintaining the highest level of confidentiality, will be self-motivated and have the ability to work independently and with a team.
The position will interact with all schools and VP areas to enter and maintain human resources (HR) related employee data from a source document into a computer system and verify entries for accuracy and completeness.
When we return to onsite work, the role will be based at the new Redwood City campus.
- Process a high volume of complex transactions using standard operating procedures and university guidelines for multiple types of HR transactions, including hiring, personnel changes, reclassifications, terminations and related activities.
- Approve all types of HR information system transactions.
- Perform audits of own work or that of others to ensure conformance and accuracy with established procedures.
- Process centralized operational work for all school and VP areas including, but not limited to, Tuition Grant Program applications, background checks and compliance, benefit contribution payroll adjustments, retiree records, Welcome Center hiring and enrollments, contributory retirement accounts for rehires, and STARS setups for new courses & learning groups. Respond to employee questions and perform corrections for these same university-wide operational processing functions.
- Act as the subject matter expert for the department on university-wide programs and/or related topics such as the Tuition Grant Program and background checks.
- Make recommendations to improve departmental procedures and processes.
- Update university PeopleSoft job aids and templates to increase processing efficiency.
- Participate in system release and enhancement testing.
- Train and support new HR PeopleSoft users in school and VP areas to meet new user proficiency requirements. Coach other HR Operations Specialists with less experience on how to perform all Peoplesoft transaction types.
- Assist with gathering and measuring data.
- May lead, coordinate and drive new programs or projects by executing tasks and objectives and making recommendations as needed.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Associate degree and two years of relevant experience, or a combination of education in Business Administration and Human Resources or relevant experience.
- At least one year experience as a HR Operations Specialist or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and ownership of projects.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to learn and apply general human resources policies using problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and effectively handle highly sensitive and personal information with sound judgement, tact and discretion.
- Ability to consistently follow through with assignments and meet deadlines.
- Collaborative team player, able to work effectively on multiple assignments in a team environment
- Ability to multitask and to effectively organize workload.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong and effective interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with HR information systems, such as PeopleSoft, time/leave systems, and Taleo applicant tracking system
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, perform desk-based computer tasks, and use a telephone.
- Occasionally write by hand, twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach/work above shoulders, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds, sort/file paperwork.
- Rarely kneel/crawl, operate foot and/or hand controls.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are not able to provide relocation for this position. Thank you for your interest!
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4637
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: G
- Requisition ID: 88285