SCRA Aquatics Director
Job Family: Health and Safety
Job Series: Wellness Program Manager
Job Code: 4661
Salary Grade: G
Career Level: 1
Exemption Classification: Exempt
Effective/Revision Date: 1/21/21
ABOUT STANFORD RECREATION & WELLNESS:
Stanford Recreation and Wellness is aligned with the pioneering spirit of Stanford University. We are committed to bold and purposeful engagement where sport, recreation, and wellness merge to create a campus and workplace where everyone’s well-being flourishes.
As part of the country’s leading collegiate athletic department, we work cohesively, lead with courage, pursue and revere excellence, and ignite a culture of wellbeing through moving, adventuring, playing, belonging, learning, and cultivating equity the best we can.
We are building a community that is inclusive and a diverse team that is committed to excellence. We take risks. We are willing to lead. We do the right thing. We create innovative solutions. We promote a culture of gratitude and recognition. We have fun. If that sounds like you, join us.
Under the supervision of the Stanford Campus Recreation Association (SCRA) General Manager, the Aquatics Director will oversee the day-to-day management of a successful, year-round aquatics program for SCRA, a swim and tennis club for Stanford faculty, senior staff and their families. Direct responsibilities consist of the management of lap swimming, lessons, youth programs, recreational swim, and lifeguards. Additional responsibilities include recruitment, hiring, training, evaluation and continuing education of staff; development and implementation of aquatic programs; marketing programs to participants; assessment of programs to meet tangible metrics for success; ensure programs meet and exceed industry trends; and track various program goals and usage. This is a one-year, fixed-term position with the opportunity for renewal.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
Program Management (40%)
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the SCRA aquatics program.
- Coordinate the setup, management, and takedown of all aquatic recreational special events.
- Promote features, benefits, and advantages of the aquatics programs to individuals through active, ongoing communications including, but not limited to, departmental talks, social media, email distribution, distribution of class flyers, and website development.
- Work with Athletics Facilities and Pool Maintenance Staff on adherence to facility safety guidelines and cleanliness standards.
- Implementation of policies and procedures to include facility access, emergency action plans, and standard operating procedures.
- Check for equipment safety and functionality.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with University and/or community representatives, vendors and other regular contacts to meet the objectives of the aquatics program.
- Formulate innovative and creative methods of recruiting, retaining and serving members of the club.
- Conducts other duties, assists with club management when needed and assigned.
Staff Management (30%)
- Provide leadership and supervision of the Aquatics staff, lifeguards, water safety instructors and other staff including recruitment, hiring, scheduling, motivation and retention.
- Plan, organize and facilitate training, work assignments, evaluations, and if needed, disciplinary action for personnel.
- Develop and implement an orientation program for new aquatics staff.
- Regularly update the aquatics employee procedure handbook
- Train staff to proactively address safety and risk management.
- Cultivate personnel as well as organize educational and professional development and provide on-going performance feedback.
- Ensure staff have and maintain all required certifications.
- Ensure customer encounters are courteous, respectful and efficient
Administrative Responsibilities (30%)
- Prepare and monitor the annual aquatic recreational programming budget.
- Communicate with the General Manager to ensure all aquatic programming for teams, recreational swim, and lap information is input into the registration software.
- Collect and analyze data, create reports, review and explain trends; formulate and evaluate alternative solutions and/or recommend changes to achieve the goals of the aquatics program.
- Review, evaluate, and recommend changes to aquatics policies and procedures with constant regard to the department's and division’s strategic plan.
- Collect satisfaction surveys and customer response forms; create reports and recommend solutions.
- Develop and execute a tactical plan to meet program objectives.
- Track progress against established goals.
- Ensure prompt and effective verbal and written communication.
TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS POSITION, YOU WILL BRING:
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in the field of kinesiology, exercise science, recreation, or related field and three years of related experience or a combination of relevant education and experience. A Master’s degree is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to create an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates our shared humanity.
- Ability to function and communicate effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
- Significant experience in aquatic management, programming, and safety.
- Demonstrated experience working independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized and superb attention to detail.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to meet expected deadlines and schedules.
- Interpersonal skills and mature judgment required to interact effectively and collaboratively with a broad range of people, including program areas, stakeholders, vendors, and equipment suppliers, both individually and in groups.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and set priorities in order to perform a high volume of detailed work with constant interruptions.
- Ability to use proper judgment around maintaining equipment while considering and working around a highly populated area.
- Ability to routinely and independently exercise sound judgment in making decisions
- Ability to be resourceful and creative in problem solving while not sacrificing quality or safety of environment.
- Ability to coordinate daily activities including work scheduling, quality assurance, monitoring of activities, and supervision of personnel.
- Knowledge of current risk management practices in recreational and aquatics facilities.
- Demonstrated ability to provide a high standard of customer service.
- Experience with MS Office products and database applications.
Certifications and Licenses
- USA Swimming and or ASCA Level 2, AED,CPR, and First Aid certification required.
- Ability to exert physical effort, including the ability to lift a minimum of 20 lbs., bending, squatting, reaching, or being on feet for long periods of time.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sitting, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally use a telephone.
- Routine work during normal business hours. Work extended hours, evenings and weekends as needed.
- Requires 24-hour response availability seven days per week for emergency situations.
- May be exposed to extended periods in the sun.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/.
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford’s intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for ensuring that his/her involvement with Athletic Department activities maintains the integrity of the University’s reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and PAC-12 rules and regulations.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
Other duties may also be assigned, not all unique aspects of this job are covered by this job posting. A full job description will be shared during the interview process.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4661
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: G
- Requisition ID: 88243