The individual in this position will serve as a team member in Emergency Medical Services for Children Innovation and Improvement Center in its efforts to improve the outcomes of care for children in emergent and urgent settings by supporting dissemination and implementation of best practice. This will impact the over 35 million pediatric patients requiring emergency care across the continuum of home to EMS to emergency department to hospital. The work will help to address disparities in emergency care to ensure optimal outcomes whenever and wherever care is provided (including rural areas, territories and tribal areas). This individual supports existing external communications and marketing to diverse stakeholders including families, legislators, advocates, clinicians, researchers and our partnering professional organizations. Examples of our existing platforms for communication include a website (with its own development team), social media, newsletters, emails, and conferences. The center hopes to expand its reach through social media channels that will enhance its visibility and reputation in order to achieve the goals of improved outcomes for children. This work will be conducted in collaboration with the administrative core and domain leads of the center under the supervision of the knowledge management domain leadership.
This work will include developing and implementing innovative and strategic approaches targeting the following metrics by the end of the four years:
Ensure > 15 % of the nation's EMS professionals have accessed the central repository of evidence-based resources, including professionals in rural settings.
Ensure over one-thousand prehospital/hospital professionals report improved knowledge of best practices after participating in pediatric EIIC educational efforts.
Ensure > 80% of grant recipients/stakeholders access high-quality resources that accelerate translation of evidence into practice.
This individual will understand and promote EIIC's research, with a focus on maintaining up-to-date and engaging communications content across social media and other platforms. The essential duties will include developing and managing forward-looking strategic communications (ex: social media) to enhance EIIC's reputation and communicate EIIC's messages and resources, producing visually engaging multimedia content/infographics, identifying topics with compelling visual and audio elements to create stories that exploit those qualities, using video, podcasts, infographics, slideshows and other media as appropriate. This individual will conceptualize and writes creative posts across all diverse platforms (specifically social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, and others). The individual will have the ability to take very granular, scientific information and make it into digestible content. This content will grow the "brand" of EIIC and ultimately improve healthcare to ill and injured children. The individual work with colleagues across EIIC centers and partner organizations to highlight their work, create a high-profile presence, and reach new audiences.
- Manages relationships with external media sources. Pursues media coverage creatively and aggressively. Responds to inquiries from national and international news media, student media, the University community and the general public.
- Enhances the overall quality of media relations for key stakeholders by preparing them for media interviews. Manages relationships with key campus stakeholders with a high degree of professionalism, judgment and understanding of stakeholder goals.
- Creates compelling story ideas and narratives; produces content for both external and internal channels; writes copy and social media posts and manages content.
- Plans social media strategies for key University communications and programs. Monitors University social media assets for negative comments or misinformation.
- Supports short- and long-term communication planning with insights into audiences, channels and culture; coordinates with other communications professionals to achieve institutional goals; leads the communications process within developed standards and protocols.
- Supports effective response strategies, often in crisis situations requiring 24/7 attention and intense media/public scrutiny, and articulates the University’s position via personal interviews or written responses.
- Produces multimedia content and manages the work of graphic and web designers, student interns, printers, video producers and photographers.
- Manages communication plans for all stakeholders by understanding the significance of campus initiatives and/or academic work; creates compelling stories and messages to translate the significance through language that is clear and accessible for public awareness.
- Develops and maintains regular contact with media representatives in multiple disciplines.
- Maintains the Yale brand and graphic identity standards; supports and maintains standard operating procedures; contributes to digital asset management.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications or related field and five years of experience in public relations, journalism, television, corporate communications or agency work or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated experience in developing communications for a range of media and working with creative professionals in design, photography or video.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Excellent organizational and project management skills working with diverse stakeholders and teams.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills to provide clear and concise messaging using digital journalism (ex: social media, websites, infographics, videos, podcasts) related to health care topics targeting clinicians, scientists/researchers and lay public.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Outstanding technological skills including social media, marketing and graphic design software platforms related to online publishing/digital journalism.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Experience with analytics of social media, marketing and communications.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Excellent graphic design skills to create visually appealing content using images.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Remote access available.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus