Portfolio and Grant Accountant
Provide financial expertise in support to the administrative staff and faculty for the Integrated Business for the Departments of Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation and Urology. This position will support the research mission on sponsored and non-sponsored funding sources. Responsible for budget development of federal and non-federal proposals. Conducts complex modeling for PI’s portfolio of funds to develop long and short-term resource plans. Creates and updates financial plans and financial reporting. Cultivates working partnerships and communications with faculty, PIs, OSP, YCCI, and departmental leadership. Manages all aspects of the work activities to ensure the highest quality of customer service, financial reporting and compliance with accounting principles, sponsor requirements and Yale University policies and procedures. This position will be responsible for monthly financial reporting including, extracts, consolidation and analysis of data from a variety of sources for use in communicating budget, actuals and forecast. Full charge responsibility for the monthly financial review checklist for the research mission, inclusive of corrective actions determined necessary because of the review.
- Financial Analysis and Reporting: Present financial information and recommendations thru data analysis and reporting in the development and maintenance of large, complex portfolios. Identify and influence strategic opportunities within the portfolio to stakeholders. Researches issues, evaluates the entire situation, identifies policies, procedures, and guidance material relevant to resolution and proposes a recommendation or solution. Responsible for all financial analysis and budget activities, which includes multiple budgets with various funding levels, staggered budget periods and end dates, varying overhead rates, differing policies regarding allowable costs, and management of the acquisition and loss of sponsor funding.
- Compliance and Risk Management: Monitor and certify to policy adherence for all financial activity within the portfolio by incorporating the policies of Yale and various funding agencies into the financial planning and review of expenditure activities. Advise faculty and clients of the appropriate financial policies. Maintain the fiscal integrity of the portfolio and department. Reviews and approves all expenditures with both sponsor and Yale policies and regulations in mind and ensures proper documentation and support exists to substantiate charges made to sponsored awards.
- Proposal Management and Oversight: Plans, prioritizes actions and provides direction across multiple awards and portfolios. Provides oversight counsel and expertise relative to significant impact at the business unit level. Provides a more strategic direction in the management of accounts and collaboration with account holders. Review and interpret sponsor documents (i.e., applications, award notices, and terms and conditions). Handle all activities for assigned portfolios in managing sponsored awards, ensure the proper and timely filing of sponsor documents, including submissions, modifications, extensions and all post award required reports (financial, technical, etc.).
- Collaborative and Strategic Finance Partner: Collaborate with other Business Offices, Central Offices, external institutions and sponsoring agencies to ensure the proper management of sponsor funds. Based on the funding and activities of the faculty member or client, identify and propose alternatives for allocating effort, spending pattern adjustments, and allocation methodologies.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree required. Four years of related financial experience required. Demonstrated application of financial, accounting and economic concepts.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Strong computer skills including advanced Excel proficiency.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and effectively with a wide range of individuals.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Analytical, organizational and communication skills with a high attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and multitask.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Previous experience with financial management and fund accounting.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability to mentor, lead and train staff.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Demonstrated experience with Yale policies and procedures, Workday financials and YBT.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus