Director, Communications and Media Relations
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
We're looking for a Director of Communications and Media Relations to join our Communications and Marketing team. In this role, you will develop strategic communications strategy, support school-wide strategic priorities, and provide thought leadership for crisis communications. Also, importantly, this Director will manage and lead the global public relations team to develop and execute proactive global media campaigns that enhance our brand and elevate our reputation on a local, national, and global scale. This role reports to the Chief Communications and Marketing officer and is a member of the department’s leadership team.
The ideal candidate has strong management, organization and communication skills with excellent judgement and the ability to understand complex and varied constituent perspectives. You will have experience acting as a thought-partner with senior leaders in business or academia and have excellent writing skills.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Develop key messages and strategies to communicate complex information to multiple audiences and constituencies through a wide variety of communications platforms, including digital, print, social and media.
- Lead the media relations team by developing and executing strategy of proactive global campaigns that support our institution’s reputation and brand. This includes the creation of briefs, pitches, press releases and securing interviews with school leadership, faculty, staff, students and alumni to illuminate important messages.
- Manage budgets and multiple global agencies to execute campaigns.
- Oversee all aspects of media relations including relationship management with journalists, rankings, and daily reactive query response.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues within and outside the Communications and Marketing team at the GSB and across Stanford University to provide subject matter expertise and execution for projects and campaigns.
- Be an active member of the Communications’ leadership team ensuring alignment of efforts across the department and supporting staff morale, growth and engagement.
- Build relationships with faculty members to promote faculty thought-leadership and research to external audiences via media outlets.
- Provide media training to senior faculty and staff at the school.
- Prepare for crisis communications response and be able to direct response and serve as school’s spokesperson if needed.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and at least eight years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Excellent communications skills and presence at all levels and for all audiences.
- Strong influencing, negotiating, and relationship management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to earn credibility and influence opinion leaders.
- Understanding of brand management principles.
- Capacity to write and synthesize complex materials and communicate highly technical information in a manner easily understood.
- Ability to motivate, develop and train staff.
- Team player mentality – everyone pitches in to get the job done.
- Proven ability to maintain and leverage relationships with journalists and media outlets.
- Creative thinker with a desire to seek opportunities for continuous improvement.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4266
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: L
- Requisition ID: 88204