Director, HR and Operations
Educational Programs and Services (EPS) is home to departments and programs that are central to the educational mission of the School of Medicine. We serve all populations of students and trainees who participate in the School's programs: Stanford MD, MS, and PhD students; visiting MD students seeking clinical clerkships; postdoctoral scholars and medical fellows; and medical practitioners seeking further professional enrichment. Our goal is to provide a Stanford School of Medicine experience worthy of our students' and trainees' talents, aspirations, and dedication.
The Director of HR and Operations for EPS is a senior management position that reports to the Associate Dean for EPS and collaborates proactively with the Associate Dean in both short-term and long-range planning regarding human resources, operational needs, organizational structure, facilities & planning management, space and IT for a complex multi-program department in multiple locations (including a Research Park site). The Director will be responsible for the strategic direction and day-to-day management/supervision of the HR & Operations group who support customer needs, HR, payroll, maintenance, property, facilities, space, purchasing and office operations. Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the Associate Dean and EPS Directors, Deans, and faculty to support initiatives by understanding the organization's objectives, issues, needs, and key success factors. Participate in planning processes and promote best practices; provide leadership for workforce planning efforts
- Design strategies for facilitating organizational and behavioral change. Perform needs assessment, analysis, and consulting on organizational issues; make recommendations on organizational design and development issues
- Champion and lead process improvement efforts across EPS
- Design and implement strategies for improving employee engagement and morale
- Investigate basic and complex employee relations issues. Work in consultation with School of Medicine Human Resources Group to resolve highly complex issues, as needed. Coach and advise staff on organizational, employee, and labor relations issues
- Oversee performance appraisal process; design procedures and documents specific to the organization, as needed. Provide relevant coaching and guidance
- Oversee organizational- wide view of talent management (recruitment and staffing plans), and structure offers. Support or lead higher level searches, and advise on affirmative action objectives, as needed
- Manage EPS salary-setting program. Advise managers on assignment of employees to appropriate classification levels; review and approve salary actions; design and/or manage incentive and bonus programs, as needed
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean, create both short-term and long-term plans for EPS related to Space, IT, Customer Service and Purchasing Standard Operating Procedures
- Direct and monitor working groups related to Space, IT, and Customer Service
- Oversees EPS space allocation, relocations, furniture procurement, renovations, office moves, communications, signs, etc.
- Direct EPS inventory and purchasing of major office equipment such as photocopiers and computers as well as overall office needs. Ensure an accurate and smooth annual physical inventory of property
- Lead the monthly EPS staff meeting and coordinate agenda items
- Manage the performance of three full-time direct reports. Set team objectives, priorities, and resources to align with department objectives.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience in administrative and financial management, or combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills including conflict resolution.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong financial expertise in accounting, budget planning and financial forecasting.
- Strong expertise in grants and contract administration.
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong expertise in business and management computer applications and databases.
- Strong knowledge of industry standards and/or regulatory requirements.
- Subject matter expertise for area(s) of responsibility.
- Ability to multi-task and manage deadlines.
- Advanced degree and seven years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Experience with PeopleSoft HRMS, OBEI and Axess is highly desired.
- Experience in facilities and space planning, property and equipment management and IT systems are highly desired.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, writing by hand, use a telephone, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 11-20 pounds.
- Rarely sort/file paperwork or parts, rarely twist/bend/stoop/squat.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4132
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K
- Requisition ID: 87750