Research Fellow, Chemistry
The successful candidate will work with Suresh Valiyaveettil on Assessing the environmental impact of micro-plastics and controlled polymer degradation under a project on Risks and Solutions: Marine Plastics in Southeast Asia- RaSP-SEA.
The main responsibilities of the position include: -
- Collection of micro-plastic samples from various locations in the region.
- Identification of the micro-plastic samples using spectroscopic and microscopic techniques.
- Synthesize and characterize polymer nanoparticles and investigate their environmental impact.
- Investigate toxicity of polymer particles using various models.
- Develop a viable method for the degradation of common polymers.
- Coordinate research activities between different groups.
- Help the PI to prepare documents.
- Organize workshops.
PhD (Chemistry or environmental science).
Skills: Polymer/micro-plastics characterisation, detection and characterisation of environmental pollutants and developing solutions, common separation protocols.
Experience: Experience in dealing with various environmental pollutants, toxicology studies, use of spectroscopic and microscopic techniques.
Location: Kent Ridge Campus