School: International Business School Suzhou (IBSS)
Position Title: Instructional Designer
Location: Suzhou Campus
Salary: Salary and benefits packages are competitive and commensurate with rank and experience.
Position ID: 1758
Advertisement Closing Date: 28th February 2020 (early submission of applications is encouraged)
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Provide advice and guidance to academic staff in their work to build, develop, adapt and source online course content, in accordance with the instructional objectives of the relevant programme.
- Design and deliver training for academic staff in educational best practice in learning technologies and in the use of tools for e-learning.
- Provide support for academic staff in the creation and maintenance of modules and programmes within the institutional Virtual Leaning Environment (VLE) and other online resources.
- Keep abreast of developments in best educational practice to identify, evaluate and implement new approaches to teaching and learning.
- Manage specific projects relating to e-learning, ensuring that these meet the strategic objectives of the School and University.
- Create standards and ensure compliance with templates such as those for presentation materials, course websites and style sheets.
- In consultation and partnership with the Academic Enhancement Centre:
- Develop and implement methods for evaluating the impact of e-learning tools and modules/programmes in the enhancement of learning and teaching;
- Evaluate new and existing learning technologies and tools for use within the School and University;
- Actively seek to share and disseminate best educational practice in the design of online materials, deployment of e-learning tools and the incorporation of learning technology and pedagogy across the University.
- Five years progressively responsible experience in a complex organisation working with customers to deliver value
- Experience of leading successful E-learning projects
- Experience with design and development of videos and animations, including training in best practices
- Education, qualifications and training
- Masters degree in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Education or similar
Required Competencies and Skills:
General and specialist knowledge
- Awareness of cultural diversity within an international environment
- Understanding of how technology may be used in the delivery of services to students and faculty
- Strong knowledge of media authoring tools and graphic design
- Demonstrated ability to apply instructional design best practices and appropriate learning theory
- Excellent ability to disseminate good practice across campus and effectively communicate complex ideas and engage diverse audiences
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to influence, manage and motivate others
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with the proven ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with a wide range of people
- Excellent organisational skills
- Strong project management skills
- Able to deliver and initiate change
- Ability to work on a variety of tasks at the same time, and to prioritise tasks/activities effectively, along with the ability to meet deadlines
- Customer and service-focused
- Highly motivated, able to work independently
- Proactive and positive approach
- Resilience to work pressure
- Ability to deal with confidential matters and act with discretion
- Strong team player
- Flexible approach to work and willingness to be flexible over working hours when required
Please submit your application on our university website, the apply link is https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=1758&company=xjtlu .
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the HR Recruiting Team at Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.