Assistant Professor / Lecturer (Applied Social Studies)
Established by the Hong Kong Government in 1989, The Open University of Hong Kong today is the largest self-financing university in Hong Kong and has developed into a dynamic, innovative, full-fledged university comprising 6 Schools.
The University has been offering full-time programmes since 2001 and joined the Joint University Programmes Admission System (JUPAS) since 2007. Currently, the University offers about 200 programmes of studies with around 10,000 full-time undergraduates and 1,000 postgraduates, and more than 8,000 part-time students in its 5 Schools namely School of Arts and Social Sciences, Lee Shau Kee School of Business and Administration, School of Education and Languages, School of Nursing and Health Studies and School of Science and Technology. In addition, there are more than 2,000 full-time and 2,000 part-time students studying in Li Ka Shing School of Professional and Continuing Education (LiPACE).
The University strives to provide high quality and flexible university education at various levels, and to excel as a provider of higher education. Our full-time programmes for qualified secondary school leavers are on par with other established universities across Hong Kong. We are committed to advancing learning, knowledge, and research that meet students’ learning aspirations and society’s talent needs, focusing on practical and professional programmes. As a multi-mode university, we use innovative teaching and the latest education technology to offer world class education, guided by our core values of fairness, integrity, perseverance, and innovation.
We are now inviting application(s) for the following post(s) in the School of Arts and Social Sciences:
Assistant Professor / Lecturer (Applied Social Studies) (Ref: 210000S)
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The appointee shall mainly be responsible for the following:
- Undertaking in course planning, development, coordination and delivery (including classroom teaching), and where necessary, programme administration in Applied Social Studies at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Engaging in academic research, scholarly activities as well as participating in School/University activities and administration;
- Liaising with community partners and supervising students in practical training and service learning;
- Liaising with secondary schools and tertiary education institutions and other relevant stakeholders; and
- Performing any other duties as assigned.
Applicants are expected to possess the following qualifications, experience and attributes:
- a doctoral degree in applied social studies, social policy or social work, with expertise in areas of ageing and/or health, or a related discipline with strong research potential and evidence of quality teaching;
- good academic and professional network for promotion of the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes;
- prior knowledge about the Hong Kong education sector and willingness to travel to secondary schools and higher education institutions for programme promotion and student recruitment;
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills; and
- relevant teaching experience in higher education institutions will be a definite advantage.
Applicants with less experience will be considered for the post of Lecturer.
Competitive compensation package including basic salary, end-of-contract gratuity and discretionary incentive (if any) will be offered to the right candidate. Fringe benefits such as generous annual leave, staff learning and development sponsorship, medical & dental benefits and life insurance coverage will also be provided.
Application should be made online through the University’s eRecruitment System.
Deadline: 1 February 2021