Assistant Director of Student Awards
2 days left
- Full Time
Job Code: 7628
Job Grade: F
FTE: 100%, Exempt
Financial Aid Office: Offices of Undergraduate Admission, Financial Aid and Visitor Information Services
The Financial Aid Office strives to enable all admitted students to take advantage of the opportunities at Stanford through one of the most generous financial aid programs in the nation. We are a dynamic team of dedicated professionals committed to serving all students, both undergraduate and graduate, and their families. We maximize use of technology to provide funding, tools and information necessary to meet educational expenses for all students. We ensure that institutional, governmental and private funds are administered in compliance with the highest standards of fiscal responsibility.
The Financial Aid Office (FAO) seeks an Assistant Director of Student Awards who, as part of a team, will administer the University’s financial aid programs for undergraduate and/or graduate students, and postdoctoral scholars. The successful candidate will communicate complex information to applicants, their families and supporters, Stanford colleagues and the general public related to financial aid programs and policies
Your responsibilities include:
- Analyzing applications and completing need analyses for a high volume of financial aid applications using a thorough understanding of both the philosophy and the detailed procedures of institutional and federal need analysis methodologies.
- Reviewing detailed financial documents, including tax returns, for accuracy of reported financial information.
- Applying professional judgment and knowledge of institutional and federal policies in determining the most appropriate and equitable decisions, reviewing appeals on changes in student or family financial condition.
- Determining student awards based on computed financial need and other factors, adjusting budget and package based on special circumstances.
- Communicating complex financial and other information to students and parents and possibly donors or other agencies in a clear, timely and professional manner, providing referral to other departments when necessary, and remaining available as a resource for future questions.
- Corresponding with parents and students in writing and via email regarding revision requests.
- Collaborating with university staff in other offices to resolve complex student issues.
- Performing outreach functions in the local community; responding to requests for informational meetings.
- Compile and review applications for graduate and postdoc support programs, determine eligibility and process awards.
*Other duties may also be assigned.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Experience in need analysis and packaging of student financial aid.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to exercise tact and discretion when dealing with students, families, and staff.
- Expertise in counseling and working with students individually with ability to provide excellent customer service in difficult situations.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, managing time and workflow and to managing multiple, concurrent high priority projects in a time-pressured environment.
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to explain University policy to others with detailed knowledge of financial aid regulations.
- Knowledge of multiple financial aid systems, document imaging systems, and window based environment and office applications.
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills and good judgment.
In addition, minimum requirements include:
- A Bachelor’s degree and three years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Knowledge of multiple financial aid systems, document management systems, and window based environment and office applications.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or auditing a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery ad fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7628
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F
- Requisition ID: 87543