Student Technology Coordinator
- Full Time
Yale is committed to improving the world today and for future generations through outstanding research and scholarship, education, preservation, and practice. Yale educates aspiring leaders worldwide who serve all sectors of society. No matter where you work in Yale University you are making an impact. As an entry level professional you will be taking on a key role with one of our business units to work on the technology that is solving our most challenging problems and changing the way the world thinks.
The IT Associate 1 is an entry level career opportunity that provides the ability to develop and build the technical and professional skills needed to contribute to Yale’s continued dedication to expanding and sharing knowledge, inspiring innovation, and preserving cultural and scientific information for future generations.
This role will be a member of the Student Technology Collaborative as a student technology coordinator. It requires the ability to work with flexible and changing assignments, requirements, and schedules, including occasional nights and weekends.
Desired skills include a proven general knowledge of network-based communications and computing technologies along with significant hands-on experience with personal computers and networks. Demonstrated professionalism and communication skills. Emotional intelligence with well developed self-awareness. A strong understanding of, and commitment to, upholding a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture.
The student technology coordinator will engage in the operations of the ITS Student support program through the following responsibilities:
- Coach and mentor a large group of diverse students to grow a high-performance team
- Serve as an escalation point, giving analytical troubleshooting advice and resolving more complex technical issues.
- Ensure student employees provide professional, effective and efficient customer support and use discretion.
- Participate in task forces and initiatives that advance the program as well as coordination of student events.
- Contribute to maintaining and improving the student support digital presence.
- Works closely with experienced staff to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to become proficient in area(s) of specialization. Takes initiative to increase understanding of all job-related areas.
- Assists in applying principals and methods of the functional area to problems in technical areas to arrive at viable solutions.
- Perform analysis, design, implementation and maintenance activities within area(s) of focus
- Troubleshoot processes, issues and errors.
- Participate in projects that solve business requirements.
- Explore and propose creative information technology solutions to business problems.
- Pursues opportunities for efficiencies and/or to achieve cost reduction.
- Work with business and technical partners to resolve business issues and respond to ad hoc requests.
- Ensure all work is in compliance with Yale University and Information Technology policies, procedures, guidelines and regulatory requirements.
- Complete additional assignments as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and no experience necessary or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Passion for a career in information technology.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Strong technical and analytical abilities.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Strong in oral and written communications, analytics and problem-solving.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Ability to define problems, identify solutions and follow through to completion.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Proven drive and initiative to go above and beyond to achieve goals while collaborating in a team environment.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Demonstrated experience leading or mentoring an organization of students. Demonstrated knowledge of, or experience supporting, communication software, collaboration tools, and personal computing technologies.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus