On 2 March 2018, the Prime Minister of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam approved a proposal by VinGroup to create a new university in Vietnam, to be known as VinUniversity, or “VinUni”.
VinUni has strategic collaborations with the world’s leading universities, including Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. These universities have become close advisors and crucial enablers in establishing the three colleges at VinUni: College of Business and Management, College of Engineering and Computer Science, and College of Health Sciences. Every aspect of the University: its curricula, research, faculty, student body, facilities, and campus life, is being developed to meet the highest standards set by the world’s leading accrediting and ranking organizations, such as ABET, AACSB, Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) and Times Higher Education (THE).
VinUniversity is the first private, not-for-profit Vietnamese university established based on international standards. The university integrates the models of excellent international universities with the unique cultural and economic characteristics of Vietnam, in order to make a breakthrough in Vietnamese higher education and to become a world-class university.
The mission of VinUniversity is to educate and train outstanding individuals, who are knowledgeable, capable, and passionate about contributing to improving themselves and societal conditions, inspiring the current and next generations, and making lasting positive impacts on global development.
On October 17th, 2020, the First Convocation of the first academic year 2020-2021 at VinUniversity marked the anniversary of opening the first talented and not for profit private university in Vietnam.
At the dawn of our Convocation, VinUniversity has been duly recognized by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) with 5-star ratings in the 3 evaluative criteria of Facilities, Academic Development, and Inclusiveness. Factually, QS reserves high regard for VinUni’s commitment to developing its academic environment guaranteeing 100% participation of faculty in mandatory training sessions to standardize and foster the pedagogy of active learning. Furthermore, every student is matched with an academic advisor who will closely mentor them throughout the entire program duration. QS likewise awards a 5-star rating for the university’s state-of-the-art facilities equipped with modern lecture halls, classrooms, stadium, dorms, library, healthcare facilities, etc.
The university’s policy for inclusiveness is also deemed holistic and thoughtful. Talented students are provided with the best support, regardless of their personal status. This effort is rated 5-star for effectively distribute the generous support from the founding donor—Vingroup JSC--as scholarships and financial aids to deserving students.
VinUniversity was founded by Vingroup Joint Stock Company (Vingroup JSC) as a private, not-for-profit university for the purpose of fostering and developing talents for the future.
Vingroup is one of the biggest private conglomerates in Asia with the largest market capitalization value in Vietnam. As a multisector corporation, Vingroup focuses on three main areas: Technology; Industrials; and Property Services.
Vingroup continues to pioneer and lead consumer trends in each of its businesses, introducing Vietnamese consumers to a brand new, modern lifestyle with international-standard products and services. Vingroup has created a respected, well-recognized Vietnamese brand and is proud to be one of the nation’s leading private enterprises.
VinUni is proud to be a part of the Vingroup ecosystem, giving our students opportunities to connect with several reputable research institutes (such as VinAI, VinBrain, and Vin BigData), pioneering industrial enterprises (such as VinSmart and VinFast), and leading Vietnamese companies (such as Vinpearl, Vincom Retail, Vinmec, and Vinhomes)
VinUniversity seeks a visionary leader with rigorous academic credentials and a record of excellence in education, accreditation, and university administration. The candidate should have a distinguished record of excellence in academia, and strong administrative leadership in the management of a large, complex, and diverse higher education environment to serve as the Vice Provost at VinUniversity.
The Vice Provost is an advocate for all academic programs, providing leadership to faculty and academic staff to ensure consistent quality standards in curriculum and programs that meet the needs of students and for the mission and goals of the University. The Vice Provost oversees the academic integrity of the university and provides leadership in long-range planning, budgeting, curriculum, and program development. The Vice Provost ensures compliance with various accreditation agencies as well as Government accreditation and regulation. The Vice Provost’s office is responsible for managing Teaching and Research Excellence, Quality control and Accreditation, Library and Learning Resources, and related administrative activities. The Vice Provost reports to the Provost and collaborates with the College Deans (Business and Management, Engineering and Computer Science, Health Sciences) and Head of Faculty (Faculty of Arts and Sciences), as well as other Sr. administrators to ensure the highest level of academic excellence across the entire university.
Respect for shared governance and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, yet decisively, will be important attributes. Additionally, the successful candidate will have held a senior administrative appointment in a university-system setting with experience working with governing boards, administration, and faculty. A sophisticated understanding of financial and operational drivers of performance in a research university is critical.
Work with Head of Faculty, College Deans, and faculty to develop and facilitate academic programs to ensure the world-class quality of curriculum and alignment with VinUniversity’s vision and mission.
- Promote, encourage, and incentivize interdisciplinary collaborations across the colleges at VinUniversity.
- Play a key oversight role in the accreditation process and program review for continuous improvement of the curriculum and programs. Work with all constituency groups to ensure that the academic programs of the colleges, and are well placed with respect to the University’s peer or aspirational benchmark group.
- In collaboration with college deans, recruit and retain high-quality faculty and academic staff. Recommend appointment, promotion, and professional development of faculty members and academic staff.
- Lead the academic and faculty related committee such as Faculty Affairs Committees, Faculty Appointment, and Promotion Committee, Research Committee ….
- Develop and manage the teaching & research certification development program recognized by Cornell/UPenn.
- Oversee Library and Learning Resources to advance the intellectual life of the university community, to provide strong resources and services in support of faculty research, and to support successful learning outcomes of students.
- Provide leadership in matters of academic policy and administration and regularly advise the Provost/ President on these matters.
- Coordinate and provide leadership for the academic strategic planning process.
- Oversee all the research management, research innovations, and research funds.
- Oversee the teaching excellence and innovation application in teaching.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A distinguished scholar with academic record to warrant the position of full professor at an international standard university
- Demonstrated experience with educational accreditations and regulations (i.e. AACSB, ABET)
- Demonstrated successful experience in progressively responsible teaching, administrative, and educational leadership positions preferably of a large and complex academic institution
- Demonstrated successful experience in strategic planning, fiscal management, resource allocation, and personnel supervision preferably of a large and complex academic institution
- Evidence of experience and a strong commitment to the development and support of interprofessional education in undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate education
- Evidence of commitment to the development and support of interdisciplinary and international activities and programs
- An appreciative understanding of the challenges that inevitably arise from the operation of a new University, with the patience, resilience, and ability to work collaboratively with diverse constituents of an institution to effectively resolve challenges and build opportunities to promote the mission and vision of the College/University.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Broad knowledge of the philosophy and mission of private, not-for-profit, and world-class universities
- Knowledge of curriculum design and its application to sound academic management
- Ability and skill in the design and application of methods for the evaluation of faculty and staff
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, complex ideas and recommendations
- Ability to carry out the functions of leadership along with a planned program of institutional direction
- Ability to manage a college/school academic budget; ability to establish and monitor fiscal accountability within the areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
- Possess strong professional networks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Respect and advocate for the core values of the university: EXCEL (E: Empathy, X: Exceptional Capability, C: Creativity, E: Entrepreneurial Mindset, L: Leadership Spirit).
- Have a spirit and passion for education; demonstrate distinction and/or promise in research, innovation, and other creative work; take prompt actions with determination and be ready to take on new challenges.
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter, and other relevant qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning March 2021 and will continue until the position are filled. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit to the Search Committee at the email address above a letter of nomination that includes the candidate’s contact information (email addresses and phone numbers). The desired start date is as early as August 2021 up until September 2021, subject to negotiation.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Working permit: VinUniversity will assist in and provide advice for obtaining the necessary paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, working permit, insurance, etc.)
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.