Supervisor HVAC, Controls and Automation
Direct and supervise a team of Control Room computer specialists in monitoring, adjusting, and maintaining University energy levels and protocols using a strong knowledge of energy management systems and controls automation analysis and programming. Coordinates and supervises the activities related to routine and emergency building maintenance and environmental systems in a 24/7 operation. Supports the Senior Managers in the re-engineering of workforce productivity and efficiency improvements to meet the changing requirements of office, teaching, biomedical research and clinical space. Creates an environment where employees thrive, grow and excel in the delivery of services to the Yale Community.
Manages and coordinates activities for service and maintenance response to systems with various service responders to ensure timely delivery and completion of service work throughout the University buildings and other related areas. Supervises a staff of licensed non-exempt employees. Determines equipment, materials and staff necessary to meet required time frames and schedules. Evaluates staff performance and proposes supplementary training programs. Develops and administers safety programs.
- Supervises the day-to-day custodial and/or maintenance operations of a unit, department, or school building within the University.
- Participates in the development and implementation of policies and procedures for building maintenance and security develops preventative maintenance schedules.
- Conducts building safety inspections ensuring that protection and safety systems are in operational order and comply with safety codes; oversees the installation and modification of safety and protection equipment and systems as needed.
- Determines staff assignments, tool and equipment requirements, and procedures for projects and work requests.
- Plans, estimates, coordinates, and follows-up on repairs, renovations, and trade projects.
- Coordinates activities for service response with various trades; ensures timely delivery and completion of service work in assigned buildings and surrounding areas.
- Provides direction and guidance to building occupants and service responders in both routine and emergency situations.
- Communicates information on the adequacy of safety and protection programs and the need to improve these programs to the facilities department.
- Interacts with internal contacts to provide guidance on building safety policies, discuss code violations and resolutions, and discuss maintenance and renovation projects.
- Interacts with outside contacts to discuss maintenance, renovation and construction plans, and to obtain information on fire and safety regulations.
- Manages a staff of nonexempt employees.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree. Seven years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and trades-related experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Strong knowledge of energy management systems and building trades. Knowledge of controls automation analysis and programming.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Strong knowledge base in the standard practices and methods of HVAC controls and automation. An S2 or similar trades license is helpful.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to coordinate and manage multiple tasks and deadlines effectively related to routine and emergency building maintenance and environmental systems.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability to manage and coordinate activities of staff engaged in planning and scheduling of maintenance and repair work, construction and renovation projects, and shop operations.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
Preferred S2, E2 or higher.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Additional Background or Health Screening Requirements
Selected incumbent must have successful completion of a DMV check and a valid driver’s license.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus