Pre Award Administrator
The Grants Administrator provides direct professional support and guidance in the administration of grants, contracts and related funds to faculty and staff in an assigned portfolio of departments. This position provides high levels of client satisfaction through strong relationship management efforts.
- Advise and guide faculty and administrators seeking external funding for research and other sponsored programs through the complex process of proposal preparation and submission. The Grants Administrator is the primary source of expertise to ensure that proposals meet sponsor requirements, regulatory compliance requirements, University, School, Federal and State policies and regulations governing sponsored research, and that proposals are submitted correctly and according to appropriate deadlines.
- Cultivate and maintain strong working partnerships and effective communications with faculty, Principal Investigators, sponsors, OSP, and other key stakeholders. Guide faculty and staff through changes in sponsor requirements
- Play a key role in the development and continuous improvement of the grants management process. Review and analyze client interactions, current processes, and submission quality. Make recommendations for and participate in the implementation of changes as appropriate
- Provide direction, training and assistance to Principal Investigators and department staff in the development of proposals, including but not limited to budgeting, interpretation of sponsor terms and policies, and University policies and procedures. Obtain all necessary clearances prior to obtaining authorization for submission. Facilitate an effective transfer of grants and contracts when Principal Investigators start at Yale.
- Review and prepare grant and contract proposals; consult with appropriate managerial staff on any exceptions to University policy, including program matching commitments, indirect rates, etc. Ensure all required information is entered into the appropriate data systems.
- Review terms and conditions on proposal solicitations and award documents. Collaborate with OSP to negotiate terms as necessary for interdisciplinary, complex and non-standard proposals and partner with OSP to facilitate agreements, including subcontracts, clinical trials and State agreements to ensure conformity with University policies. Approves and submits grant proposals in accordance with delegated authority.
- Analyze and understand complex information from multiple sources including funding opportunity announcements, funding interest matches, and submission procedures in order to transmit proposals to OSP that result in a high first pass rate. Obtain and communicate information on sponsor electronic research processes and procedures.
- Keep abreast of laws, regulations, external and internal policies and procedures governing the administration of grants and contracts. Ensure that key personnel are compliant with regulatory, University and other training mandates.
- Partner with OSP in working with sponsors on matters of proposal submission.
- May serve as backup to leadership and assist with training and development of team members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree and four years of related professional/managerial work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with demonstrated outstanding organizational skills.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated superior customer service orientation. Ability to work well as part of a team.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to work well under deadline pressures without sacrificing accuracy or customer service.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Ability to handle a complex portfolio of work in an intensive multi-tasking, entrepreneurial environment.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Knowledge of accounting principles and exceptional attention to detail. Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Knowledge of Yale policies and procedures. Knowledge of tools including Microsoft Office Suite, database administration, electronic proposal systems, and other related software. Working knowledge of federal, state and sponsor regulations and guidelines pertaining to contract and grant administration. Extensive knowledge of grant and contract methods and procedures.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus