Senior Director, Recreation Services
Application screening will begin November 15th, 2020 and will continue until finalists are identified.
ABOUT STANFORD RECREATION & WELLNESS
Aligned with the pioneering spirit of Stanford University, Stanford Recreation and Wellness is committed to bold and purposeful engagement where sport, recreation, and wellness merge to create a campus and workplace where everyone’s well-being flourishes. As part of the country's leading collegiate athletic department, we work cohesively, lead with courage, pursue and revere excellence, and activate movement, adventure, fun, leadership, and learning.
We are building a community that is inclusive and a diverse team that is committed to excellence. We take risks. We are willing to lead. We do the right thing. We create innovative solutions. We promote a culture of gratitude and recognition. We have fun. If that sounds like you, join us.
The Senior Director of Recreation Services directs the complex daily operations for six significant aspects of Stanford’s recreational offerings: membership management, customer service, aquatics, risk management, informal recreation, and safety initiatives. This position leads, or supports, the daily operations of five recreation facilities through supervision of ten full-time and over 150 part-time staff in the areas of guest services, facility operations, aquatics, and informal recreation.
In this role you will:
Program Management (40%)
- Responsible for the implementation, administration, and evaluation of the day-to-day activities of five recreation facilities including two aquatics areas.
- Ensure effective management of guest registration processes and documentation including membership access, risk management, program registration, equipment checkout and any other required processes.
- Ensure indoor and outdoor facilities for Recreation and Wellness are reserved and set-up appropriately to meet the needs of Recreation and Wellness programs and users.
- Facilitate oversight of department risk management by leading the development, implementation and maintenance of appropriate standards, emergency action plans and safety audit programs for recreation facilities and programs.
- Develop and manage Building and Membership policies and procedures based on department and University guidelines and industry best practices.
- Lead the response to patron comments, concerns, behavior, and conduct issues as necessary.
- Partner with DAPER facilities in their custodial management, routine and special maintenance, annual shutdowns, and policy implementation.
- Assess and implement sustainability initiatives to ensure the department operates in ways that champion the Sustainable Stanford effort.
Personnel Management (25%)
- Provide engaged leadership and supervision of ten professional staff.
- Ensure the development and delivery of comprehensive training programs for all staff teams.
- Provide comprehensive departmental onboard training for new Recreation and Wellness employees in area of supervision to include customer service standards, effective conflict resolution, cultural responsiveness, safety, and a culture of excellence.
- Ensure that hiring, training and, when required, proper termination of all student and contingent staff for Recreation Services are conducted in accordance with department and university policies and guidelines.
- Ensures employees are provided safety training and document attendance and record of safety meetings.
Financial and Administrative Management (25%)
- Administrative responsibility of customer management software solutions (Fusion) including assigning user and member access, training personnel and working in conjunction with University ID Card Services.
- Oversee customer service operations related to facility access control and member services, including: all transactions related to point of sale, member/participant facility access, program registration, data reporting, membership database, and equipment rentals.
- Ensure employee handbook and polices in areas of responsibility are current.
- Collaborate with the business operations team on managing Recreation Services finances including budget development, monitoring, forecasting, revenue collection, and PCI compliance.
- Develop membership models to reach revenue targets.
- Ensure all financial transactions are conducted in accordance with Stanford policies and procedures.
- Collect and analyze data from multiple sources, create reports, review and explain trends; formulate and evaluate alternative solutions and/or recommendations to achieve the goals of the department.
Internal and External Leadership and Collaboration (10%)
- In collaboration with Communications, develop and manage outreach strategies.
- Cultivate a safe and inclusive environment for staff, members and guests.
- Proactively contribute to strategic planning for Recreation and Wellness.
- Collaborate with university contacts including, but not limited to, DAPER, Alumni Association, Stanford Hospitals, the Graduate School of Medicine, Vaden Health Center, Graduate School of Business, Health and Human Performance, and the BeWell Program.
- May be asked to represent the department at university level functions and provide leadership in the absence of the Executive Director
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience in administrative and financial management, or combination of education and relevant experience. It is preferred that you have a Master’s degree in sports management, recreation, facility management, business, or related field and at least seven years of experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to create an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates our shared humanity.
- Ability to function and communicate effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills including conflict resolution.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong financial expertise in budget planning and financial forecasting.
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills Strong expertise in business and management computer applications and databases.
- Active knowledge of membership management software (Fusion preferred), Office software programs, and university event programming experience.
- Effectiveness at the Advanced level for most NIRSA competencies.
- Engagement in NIRSA, NCAA, or other recreation or sport professional associations
Certifications and Licenses
- Red Cross CPR/First Aid/AED Instructor or Professional Level certification or the ability to become certified within 60 days of hire
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sitting, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally use a telephone.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds regularly and up to 40 pounds occasionally.
- May occasionally work evenings and weekends.
- Requires 24-hour response availability seven days per week for emergency situations.
- May be exposed to noise > 80dB TWA.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/.
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford’s intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for ensuring that his/her involvement with Athletic Department activities maintains the integrity of the University’s reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and PAC-12 rules and regulations.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory for all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4142
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K
- Requisition ID: 87723