Principal Data Scientist
The Principal Data Scientist manages, coordinates, and performs advanced data and programming-related activities for health services research studies examining the science of surgical care delivery. Functioning very independently and under the general direction of the principal investigator, this role will perform highly complex statistical analyses of health services data often involving cleaning and merging of large administrative datasets. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following;
- May identify, develop, and implement new computational techniques
- Applies, researches, and develops statistical models for analysis, inference, and prediction from a variety of large data bases.
- In collaboration with investigators and trainees, contributes to scientific literature, reports, journals and presentations.
- Assists in orientation and training of graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and other personnel as needed.
- Participates as a collaborator in the preparation and dissemination of research findings through presentation and publication in scientific journals.
- May provide supervision, leadership, oversight and delegation of workflow to team members.
- Assist with the selection, interviewing and hiring of new team members.
- Leads development and execution of new and/or highly complex algorithms and statistical predictive models and determines analytical approaches and modeling techniques to evaluate potential future outcomes.
- Establishes analytical rigor and statistical methods to analyze large amount of data, using advanced statistical techniques and mathematical analyses.
- Manage highly complex analytical projects from data exploration, model building, performance evaluation.
- Apply in-depth knowledge of systems and products to consult and advise on additional efforts across organization/enterprise.
- Motivates Project members and probe into technical details, and mentors’ others to do the same.
- Provide thought leadership and direction of analytic solutions, tools and studies. Anticipate and solve strategic and high-risk business problems with broad impact on the business area by applying leading-edge theories and techniques to investigate problems, detect patterns and recommend solutions.
- Provides guidance to develop enterprise-wide analytics strategy and roadmap. Interact with internal and external peers and management to share highly complex information/solutions related to areas of expertise and/or to gain acceptance of new or enhanced technology/ business solutions.
Required Education and Experience
Master's degree in Quantitative or related Field and minimum four years of progressively complex related experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated statistical, data analysis, and programming skills.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proficiency using Stata, SAS and/or R.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Well-developed written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Excellent time management and organizational skills.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Ability to analyze complex datasets.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
PhD Preferred. Substantial experience applying sophisticated statistical methods to analyze complex datasets from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), National and State level data from HCUP of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, other U.S. Government Data including TRICARE and VA data as well as commercial data sets such as IBM Market Scan.
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
NoteY ale University is a tobacco-free campus