Research Associate, Medicinal Chemistry
Life Science Research Professional 2
Job Family: Research
Job Series: Life Science Research Professional
Job Code: 4952
We are seeking a highly motivated research associate to join our team. In this role, you, the Research Associate, Medicinal Chemistry, will play a critical role in advancing synthetic medicinal chemistry projects in the Stanford ChEM-H Medicinal Chemistry Knowledge Center. The goal of the Medicinal Chemistry Knowledge Center is to accelerate the translation of discoveries at Stanford into innovative medicines that impact human health. This is a three year fixed-term position with the possibility of renewal dependant on funding.
In this position you:
- Will be responsible for designing molecules and performing chemical synthesis in the laboratory as assigned.
- Should have training in synthetic organic chemistry and strong organizational skills.
- Are a self-starter, comfortable with autonomy, and embrace opportunities to tackle new problems and challenges as part of a dynamic team in a start-up-like environment within the University.
- Will be working closely with chemists, biologists, physicians, and other scientists on highly collaborative projects.
- Independently conduct chemical synthesis to support research project(s). Use knowledge of structure activity relationship to make recommendations on new molecule synthesis and design of new molecules to Knowledge Center leader and collaborating faculty.
- Independently conduct chemical reactions to produce target molecules. Collect analytical data to support major research projects. Record data in electronic laboratory notebook.
- Interpret and analyze results, including NMR spectra and LC-MS data, to confirm compound identity and purity. Make modifications to existing procedures and protocols.
- Develop new research protocols where appropriate protocols are not described in the literature or where modification or adaptation of standard procedures and protocols is required.
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams across different faculties or schools.
- Perform ongoing literature review to remain current with new procedures and related research; apply to ongoing research and development of new protocols.
- Contribute substantively to the preparation of papers for publication, especially in the results section, and to publication of findings. Present ongoing work to colleagues and/or academic conferences.
- Oversee supply and equipment budget under supervision of the Head of the Medicinal Chemistry Knowledge Center.
- Work with health and safety department to ensure lab complies with regulations and all required trainings.
- Supervise (either formally or informally) staff or students as needed, including oversight and direction on techniques, as well as consultation on project work. Serve as a technical resource for other staff, students, and postdoctoral fellows.
- Oversee the daily activities of the laboratory including lab maintenance; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed. May assist with purchasing laboratory equipment.
*Please note this position may require the following:
- Work in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- Work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry or related scientific field and two years of relevant work experience OR
- Master’s degree in a related scientific discipline.
- Comprehensive understanding of scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance is essential.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
- Knowledge and experience in synthetic organic chemistry
- Experience with NMR and LC-MS analysis of small molecules
- Experience with laboratory safety and management of chemical inventory
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
What is Stanford ChEM-H?
Stanford ChEM-H is a new interdisciplinary institute focused on connecting Chemistry, Engineering, and Medicine for Human Health. The institute was founded as a joint venture of the Schools of Medicine, Engineering, and Humanities and Sciences. The proximity of world-class biologists, chemists, engineers, and clinicians at Stanford presents a unique opportunity to study human biology at a molecular level, to translate this knowledge into groundbreaking products and services that promote healthy living, and to educate a new cadre of “physician-scientist-engineers” who will lead a rapidly evolving industry.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your cover letter should briefly describe your background and interest in this specific position.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4952
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: G
- Requisition ID: 87575