The Department of Digital Humanities is seeking a part-time research assistant to work with Dr. Elisa Oreglia on the European Research Council Starting Grant DIGISILK. The project investigates the Digital Silk Road, a Chinese initiative to build and strengthen digital infrastructure and services, in China, Cambodia, Myanmar and Kazakhstan.
The research assistant will work closely with the team on online and offline communication for the project, as well as help with research and research management. We are looking for a highly organised individual with previous experience of external communication, website management, planning and supporting research. The successful candidate is expected to have experience with social media for communication and dissemination of research content. The successful candidate will work closely with the Principal Investigator, as well as independently.
This post will be offered for 5 years
This is a part-time post - 15% full time equivalent
- Update the project website
- Disseminate project updates on social and traditional media
- Collect, coordinate and manage data related to the project to the standards required
- Contribute to the production of research reports and publications
- Contribute to the planning of research projects, including impact and research dissemination
- Liaise with research colleagues and support staff on routine matters
- Deal with problems which may affect the achievement of research objectives and deadlines
- Undertake basic research under the supervision of the PI, including literature reviews, database maintenance, etc.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- MA in relevant discipline or equivalent
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in creating content for social and traditional media
- Experience in updating websites using CMS such as Wordpress, or a demonstrated ability to learn quickly to the standard required by the project
- Experience in data organisation and management
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to multitask to effectively meet the needs of the project
- Ability to work independently and proactively to the standards required
- Experience maintaining a web presence for a research project, including social media management
- Experience in working in multi-cultural environments
- Experience in organising workshops/conferences
- An interest in digital societies and internet governance
Please include your CV and cover letter that includes links to your online presence or to online projects that you manage.
This advertisement does not meet the requirements for a Certificate of Sponsorship under Home Office regulations and therefore the university will not be able to offer sponsorship for this role.