Research Fellowship in Philosophy of Education
Applications are invited for a position as Doctoral Research Fellow within the research group Humanities Studies in Pedagogy (HumStud) at the Department of Education, University of Oslo.
The research group HumStud employs historical and philosophical approaches to the study of education and upbringing. The research group addresses fundamental educational questions. The research activities comprise historical, philosophical and epistemological analyses of the educational sciences. Historical, philosophical and epistemological analyses advance the conceptualization, critique and justification of educational activities and research.
The PhD project will be positioned within the field of Philosophy of Education and/or the field of “Bildung” (danning). Relevant fields of research would be the premises of education, the aim of education, political-ethical education (Bildung), theories of knowledge, cognition, construction and critical thinking, justice and global citizenship and the concept of “bildung” in curriculum reforms and policy documents.
Further information on the research topics and activities can be found on the his website.
Positions as Research Fellows are fixed-term educational posts where the aim is that the Research Fellow completes a doctoral degree (PhD) during the period of employment. A prerequisite for the employment is admission to the Faculty’s doctoral degree programme, and applicants’ formal and other qualifications for admission will therefore also be assessed. Research Fellowship positions are defined as recruitment posts and represent an important instrument in the sector’s work of generating qualified applicants for other academic posts at universities and university colleges in the long-term perspective. The doctoral candidate is expected to participate actively in the organized research training and in the Faculty’s research community.
More about the position
The fellowship period is up to 4 years, with 3 years devoted to research education. The position entails a compulsory work load of 25% that consists of teaching and supervision duties and research assistance.
The research fellow must take part in the Faculty’s approved PhD program and is expected to complete the project within the set fellowship period. The main purpose of the fellowship is research training leading to the successful completion of a PhD degree.
- applicants must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in education or another relevant academic field (e.g., psychology, special education, media science, or applied linguistics). The grade for the Master’s degree (120 ECTS) must at least be B (ECTS grading scale) or equivalent, and the degree must include a thesis of at least 30 ECTS
- fluent oral and written communication skills in English
- Personal skills
In the assessment of applications, emphasis will be put on:
- the quality of the project proposal submitted with the application
- the applicants’ academic and personal qualifications for completing the research training program
- personal suitability and motivation for the position
- good ability to collaborate nationally and internationally
- other qualifications that meet the objectives which form the basis of this type of post.
- good knowledge of Norwegian or other Scandinavian languages
- good English language skills are also required
- salary NOK 479.600 - 523.200 per annum depending on qualifications in a position as Research Fellow
- a positive and stimulating working environment
- pension arrangements in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- a position in an inclusive working life enterprise
- attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include
- cover letter statement of motivation and research interests
- project description (8-10 pages cf. guidance)
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work)
- copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- a complete list of publications and academic works
- list of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system, please follow the link “apply for this job”. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
When evaluating the application, emphasis will be given to the eventuelt “project description” and the applicant’s academic and personal prerequisites to carry out the project. Applicants may be called in for an interview.