Head, Department of Media and Communication
School: School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department: Media and Communication
Academic Discipline: Media and Communication Studies
Position Title: Head, Department of Media and Communication
Location: Suzhou Campus
Job Requisition ID: 1778
Position Open Day：14 October 2020
Advertisement Closing Date: 18 November 2020
Contract Type: Full-Time
University and Department Overview:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
XJTLU’s Department of Media and Communication is home to faculty from many countries around the world. The Department delivers a BA Media and Communication Studies and an MSc Media and Communication. Faculty also supervise PhD students. The research strengths of the Department include Journalism, Film Studies, Digital Media, and Cultural Studies.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership at departmental and school levels in teaching, research and service.
- Develop and implement a strategic vision for the department, in alignment with the university’s strategic plan.
- Allocate, manage and deploy resources to support the operations of the department.
- Promote a culture of academic excellence and collegiality in the department, as well as cross-disciplinary collaborations.
- Contribute to the further development of the Department’s programmes.
- Coordinate and deliver modules in the Department’s programmes.
- Maintain a publication record appropriate for the discipline and designation.
- Apply to external research funds.
- The ability to adapt to institutional changes, identify desirable outcomes and achieve goals within a specified timeframe.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and work cooperatively within the Department, School, University, and international networks.
- Relevant PhD with at least 10 years of university experience.
- Successful record of higher education administrative experience, including strategic planning and budget management.
- Substantial experience with programme development and curriculum design.
- PhD supervision experience.
- Appropriate publication record for discipline.
- Successful record of external grant applications.
- Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (e.g. HEA Fellow status) or equivalent.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching excellence.
- Significant experience in international higher education.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Familiarity with China and Chinese higher education.
- Familiarity with the British system of higher education
Members of Academic Staff receive generous subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, and medical insurance. A relocation allowance is provided. Non-Chinese passport holders may qualify for multi-year income tax “holidays”, depending on nationality and tax residency.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your application Online https://career15.sapsf.cn/career?career_company=xjtlu then find the Requisition ID 1778.. Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Recruiting Team at Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.