Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of Mathematics and Statistics
School of Mathematics and Statistics
- Do you want to be part of a vibrant and collegial community of world-class mathematicians and statisticians?
- Located at CBD Campus, Camperdown – join a community of world-class mathematical scientists!
- Full-time Level A, fixed term 2 Years with a base salary of $93K - $103K p.a., plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney is welcoming applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate (Level A,6+) to conduct research in a collaborative research teambased at the School of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Sydney. This role will report to Professor Nalini Joshiand Associate Professor Milena Radnovic, carrying out mathematical research and preparing and presenting results in papers and conferences, co-supervising undergraduate and graduate research studentsand being involved in outreach and mentoring activities.
This position is part of the research project funded by Professor Nalini Joshi’s and Dr Milena Radnovic’s ARC Discovery Project Geometric analysis of nonlinear systems. You will be expected to work in a general area of research concerning dynamical systems, integrable systems and related areas, including algebraic and analytic approaches to these areas. A focus on discrete and classical Painlevé equations is expected, but connections with other fields, including billiards and moduli spaces, will be encouraged. Additionally, you will be expected to support the activities of the research team and apply for independent research fellowship or funding.
The position is full-time, fixed-term for up to two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further 6 months. We encourage candidates with caring or family responsibilities to apply and, in such circumstances, appointment may be available on a part-time basis.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate who possesses experience in the following areas:
- a PhD in Mathematics (or another closely related scientific discipline) either awarded or submitted with reports received recommending
- potential for significant research discovery as evidenced by level of academic achievements, publications and research reports, and evaluation of referees
- proven excellence inwritten and oral communications, interacting with a variety of researchers and stakeholders
- a good theoretical understanding of mathematical theory of integrable systems or billiards, moduli spaces and geometry
- proven commitment to producing high quality work and a demonstrated track record of high-quality publications
- demonstrated excellence in research within mathematics through published research in refereed journals
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent research/scholarly activities under limited supervision or as a member of a team
- familiarity with symbolic mathematical software (desirable, not essential)
We’re Australia's first university and have a global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
The School of Mathematics and Statistics is a leading centre for research and education in the mathematical sciences in Australia. We attract outstanding undergraduate students and have a large cohort of postgraduate research students. The large cohort of postgraduate research students and many overseas visitors benefit from, and help to sustain, a world-class research environment. The School attracts significant research funding in the form of Australian Research Council grants, fellowships, and other competitive external funding and is home to the University of Sydney Mathematical Research Institute which has attracted $6.5M of philanthropic funding to date.
The University is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups, including women and people with disabilities are encouraged. The University of Sydney has established a scheme to increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff employed across the institution, and applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are also encouraged.
Late applications will be accepted but cannot be guaranteed consideration. Applicants seeking appointment at higher levels than those advertised should in the first instance contact the Head of School for a discussion. The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the academic position summary available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit https://sydney.edu.au/about-us/careers-at-sydney.html and search by the reference number 1178/1020F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Sunday 8 November 2020
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.