Research Fellow in Data Mining, ARC Discovery Project
- Full Time
- Full-time, 1-year fixed-term contract with the possibility of extension; based at RMIT City campus but may be required to work and/or be based at other campuses of the University
- Research project focusing on utilising your expertise in data mining, deep learning and recommender systems in a research activity funded by an Australian Research Council Discovery Project "Combating fake news on social media: from early detection to intervention"
- Report to Associate Professor Jenny Zhang
- Remuneration at Academic Level B 1($98,495) + 17% superannuation
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students, and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMITs leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
About the Collage/ School
The School of Science provides over 45 bachelor and postgraduate programs and undertakes world class research across the disciplines of physical sciences, mathematical sciences and computer science.
One of RMIT's top-performing research schools, we deliver research that addresses the 'real life questions' essential to Australia's innovation agenda. Our high-quality teaching programs inspire students to pursue careers in a range of industries including health, materials technology, food, geospatial and surveying, environmental analysis, banking and commerce, as well as computing and IT roles and research and development across a wide range of areas.
The School has staff, students and facilities on both the City and Bundoora campuses, has 300 staff, 327 higher degree research students, 3347 coursework students and an annual budget of $120 million.
Further information on School of Science in this link.
About You & the Role
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Conduct research and development activities in data mining, deep learning & recommender systems in line with the Universitys research strategy
- Prepare and submitting competitive external research grant funding and proposals
- Work independently as well as collaboratively with the team in contributing to quality research publications in high impact journals and developing new research initiatives, as well as ability to communicate effectively research outcomes through seminars and attending conferences
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary internal and external researchers involve in this research activities in knowledge sharing and producing high quality research outcomes
You will have:
- Evidence of research output and high-impact track record including publications, conference contributions and/or technical report in data mining, deep learning and recommender systems
- Strong capabilities in social media data mining
- Capability to communicate and present research findings, concepts and knowledge with sound problem-solving and analytical skills as well as strong industry linkages in securing competitive research grant funding and development of new research initiatives
- Working experience in supervising higher degree by research students
- Possesses an excellent written and verbal communication skills with the passion and commitment to build strong relationships across all levels of professional staff within the organization and externally
- Ability to manage and plan time effectively and efficiently to conduct innovative research independently and collaboratively across multi-disciplinary team, industry and government
Mandatory: PhD in Computer Science or Information Technology and/or candidates who have commensurate experience in social media data mining and/or deep learning will be highly regarded.
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more.We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
We are proud that our dedication to diversity has been recognized by a broad spectrum of external organizations. Visit our Linkedin Life pages to learn more and see some of our most recent wins.
Please submit your updated resume and cover letter outlining your experience & achievements by clicking on the 'Apply now link. Please note that a separate response to Key Selection Criteria as stated on the Position Description is required. For any enquiries regarding this role, please contact Professor Jenny Zhang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
We are also happy to make adjustments to the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us via your preferred type of communication: email TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au or call Kassie on +61399252442 with your request(s).
Applications close Thursday 22nd October 2020.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
Please note that whilst we still accept applications from any persons interested in our roles, due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications from those with current working rights in Australia and who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australias immigration and border arrangements during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/