Clinical Assistant, Small Animal Medicine
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
DEPARTMENT OF COMPANION ANIMAL CLINICAL STUDIES
(THREE-YEAR CONTRACT APPOINTMENT)
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 10
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Department of Companion Animal Studies has one opening for a qualified veterinarian who would like to specialise in Small Animal Medicine by completing a MMedVet-degree. Please refer to the relevant yearbook for the programme information.
The successful candidate will actively participate in the following areas:
- An advanced training programme in Small Animal Medicine with the view of obtaining the MMedVet (Med) degree; ECVIM-CA Diploma;
- Clinical/practical training of undergraduate students in Small Animal Medicine;
- Departmental research and publications;
- Clinical service in the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital and surrounding community, including a 24-hour service; and
- Community engagement activities.
- BVSc-degree or BVMCh or equivalent professional veterinary qualification;
- Registration as a Veterinarian with the SAVC or eligibility for registration within one year of appointment; and
- Two years’ general veterinary clinical experience completed upon commencement of appointment or one-year internship.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Commitment to further academic development;
- Subject knowledge: Small Animal Medicine;
- Appropriate language and communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills; and
- Good computer skills (Windows, MS Office).
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Two years’ experience in Small Animal Medicine;
- Teaching experience;
- Exposure to research in an appropriate field of Small Animal Medicine; and
- Publications in the areas of veterinary science or Small Animal Medicine and/or related field.
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- Cover letter indicating that you comply with the above-mentioned requirements;
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research); and
- Self-evaluation must address each minimum requirement (points 1-3) and required competencies (points 1 - 5). Applications that do not include these in the evaluation may be rejected.
CLOSING DATE: 14 October 202014 October 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms MB Nyathela: email@example.com (HR)
Job content enquiries: Dr P Pazzi: firstname.lastname@example.org (SAM);
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 15 January 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to fill the advertised positions.