Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The University of Pretoria wishes to appoint 2 academic staff members in available positions to enhance the current research and teaching capacity in the Department of Chemical Engineering and to position the Department as international leader. Expertise and experience are sought in chemical engineering or closely related discipline, in particular in the field of Process design, -modelling, -control and -optimisation. The position will be closely associated with multidisciplinary research related to application of concept of process design, -modelling, -control and -optimisation in environmental engineering, sustainable energy processes and advanced and applied materials.
It will be expected of the successful candidate to:
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate modules in the Department;
- Supervise final year undergraduate project students and postgraduate Honours, Masters and PhD students;
- Lead a research unit focusing on the application of concept of process design, -modelling, -control and -optimisation in environmental engineering, sustainable energy processes and advanced and applied materials and publish in leading accredited journals in the field;
- Raise and manage additional funding from national and international funding agencies and industry to support the activities of the relevant research group;
- Expand existing research programmes or initiate new research programmes;
- Perform assigned departmental duties (e.g. of an administrative nature).
- A BEng/BSc (Eng.)-degree from a university of which the undergraduate programme is registrable with ECSA;
- A Masters’ degree in Engineering that follows on the previous qualification;
- Research experience in chemical engineering, in particular in the application of concept of process design,
- control and
- optimisation in environmental engineering, sustainable energy processes and advanced and applied materials;
- Publications in accredited journals or conferences;
- Industry related experience within the field
- Same as for Lecturer, plus
- A PhD degree in Chemical Engineering or related discipline that follows on the previous qualification;
- Expertise and research experience in the application of concept of process design, -modelling, -control and -optimisation in environmental engineering, sustainable energy processes and advanced and applied materials;
- A proven research record supported by publications in high quality peer reviewed journals. At least two years tertiary education experience or 2 years related industry experience;
- A record of previous undergraduate and/or postgraduate teaching experience.
- Same as for Senior Lecturer, plus;
- At least six years’ experience at a tertiary academic institution or industry related experience
- A record of previous undergraduate and postgraduate teaching experience, including supervision of Masters and/or Doctoral students;
- A well-establish and nationally recognised research record supported by publications in high quality peer reviewed journals;
- Same as for Associate Professor, plus;
- At least eight years’ experience at a tertiary academic institution or industry related experience;
- A record of previous undergraduate and/or postgraduate teaching experience, including graduation of Doctoral students;
- A well-established and internationally recognised research record supported by publications in high quality peer reviewed journals.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Evidence of teaching excellence;
- Preference will be given to candidates who have teaching and research expertise that complement the Department’s needs;
- Related industry work or consulting experience; Candidates registered or registerable as Professional Engineer with ECSA;
- NRF rating or have applied for one.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A cover letter summarizing relevant experience and the areas of your teaching and research expertise/interests;
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- A brief teaching portfolio;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 16 October 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 December 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.