Assistant Professor in Family Medicine
Job Description - Assistant Professor , Family Medicine
The United Arab Emirates University invites applications for a faculty position. Qualified candidates at all levels will be considered at a rank commensurate with academic accomplishments. We are in search of physicians who are committed to continuing state-of-the-art research, dedicated to improving clinical care and medical education, and advancing primary care.
The candidates will be involved in teaching medical students, interns and residents, performing research in areas relevant to Family Medicine providing clinical care and quality control of assessment internally and externally. The Department of Family Medicine coordinates a four week required family medicine clerkship in the final year of the undergraduate curriculum. Faculty in the Department are also extensively involved in the clinical skills training of the first four years of medical school. The Ministry of Health offers a four-year family medicine residency based in Al Ain, and the faculty of family medicine participate in teaching and evaluation of the residents as part of their integrated clinical program. Research is an important expectation for this position and candidates should have prior experience in this area with evidence of scholarly activity. Significant opportunities exist for funding and technical support and excellent collaboration exists within the CMHS. Clinical care is an expectation of this position including working in primary health care centers affiliated with the CMHS and DFM.
Candidates for this position must have: an MD or MBBS degree, completion of advanced postgraduate training in Family Practice, prior undergraduate and postgraduate teaching experience and have certification/fellowship (or equivalent) in North America, Australasia and Europe. Evidence of prior scholarship including publications in internationally recognized peer-reviewed journals is also a requirement for the position.
You will be an academic leader delivering high quality, student centred teaching, underpinned by academic scholarship (research, knowledge exchange or professional practice).
- Must possess a strong commitment to innovation, collaboration, and professional development.
- Have achieved a level of success that will enable to achieve international recognition in your field of research.
- In-depth understanding and expertise in primary care research, to enable the development of new knowledge and understanding within the field.
- Published high quality scholarly learning resources and/or books.
- Engaged in scholarly research networks beyond the University.
- Lead, as first author, on successful funding proposals.
- Made a significant contribution to the development of academic policies across the institution.
- Be recognized as an excellent teacher nationally.
- Worked at a national level to champion selected aspects of disciplinary pedagogy to further education.
- Should meet professional qualification requirements of Department of Health to work at the level of Consultant Family Physician.
The Department of Family Medicine functions as a team and the management style is team based and participatory. All Faculty members participate proportionately in the different activities and may be expected to share responsibility for different activities. Activities within the Department are planned in advance to align with the Faculty, Departmental, Service and annual calendars.
• Family Medicine Consultant service in PHC clinic.
• Participation in CME and guideline development
• Participation in in-service training of community preceptors involved with student training
• Personal development and CME update to maintain HAAD license.
• Participatory research with a focus on patient and community engagement
• Participation in relevant research in medical education
• Supervision and support of residency research projects
• Application for seed money and relevant research grants
•Undergraduate teaching: (teaching, assessment and administrative tasks assigned)
• Foundation year teaching and assessment in professionalism and ethics
• Teaching and assessment in doctor patient relationship, professionalism and ethics
• Problem Based learning teaching in assigned modules
• Clinical skills teaching and assessment in assigned modules.
•Module coordination as assigned.
• Family Medicine clerkship: portfolio moderation, face to face teaching in clinics, facilitation of case discussions, assessment and administrative tasks assigned.
• Post graduate teaching: Family Medicine Residency teaching: Workshops, group facilitation, research support and assessment.
• Develop assessment items and participate in standard setting, OSCE and activities related to external examinations e.g. DOH and EMREE examinations.
• Participation in committees as assigned by department/faculty
• Management and coordination of teaching modules as assigned
• Other administrative duties which may be assigned ad hoc related to line function of appointee.