Lecturer, Engage, EBIT Office of the Dean
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEAN’S OFFICE - ENGAGE PROGRAMME
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the above vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The ENGAGE (Engineering Augmented Degree Programme) is an extended curriculum programme comprising both mainstream and developmental/augmenting modules. Students follow a structured 5-year curriculum. Additional Chemistry is an augmenting module that is presented in parallel to the mainstream Chemistry module in the first year. The module is designed to develop and enhance basic conceptual understanding and problem solving strategies, and to address lacking Gr12 Chemistry knowledge.
The incumbent must be able to teach Chemistry on a first-year level with a focus on General and Organic Chemistry. Additionally, the incumbent will be required to update and refine the curriculum, and to teach and do research on Chemistry Education to engineering students. The teaching comprises one formal lecture and three discussion classes per week, to groups of approximately 50 students each.
- A relevant Master’s degree or equivalent qualification
- 3 years of teaching experience at a tertiary level
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Experience and expertise in at least three of the following:
- General and Organic Chemistry
- Online teaching and technology
- Evidence of experience with active teaching and learning strategies
- Curriculum and Materials Development
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Preference given to a person with a relevant PhD
- Above average IT knowledge and skills, teaching at a tertiary level in Extended degree programmes.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED medical aid scheme and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online, quoting the applicable reference number.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
- Names and contact details of peer reviewers (academic and research);
CLOSING DATE: 5 October 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by December 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right not to make an appointment to the posts as advertised.