Lecturer in Civil Engineering
- Salary Package: Level B, from $105, 992 to $125,407 per annum, plus 17%employer's superannuation and annual leave loading
- Appointment Type: Full-time, continuing
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
We are looking for an energetic and enthusiastic Lecturer in Civil Engineering. With a strong track record in teaching in civil engineering and/or civil engineering practice. The successful applicant will be expected to develop, teach, and lead civil engineering teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, as well as supervise undergraduate, masters and higher-degree student projects. The Civil Engineering Program at Macquarie is a new Program that started in 2020 and this is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to establish an academic career in Civil Engineering.
The successful candidate will demonstrate strengths for future potential across other teaching streams of the School and contribute to the administration, outreach and promotion of the School of Engineering, Faculty of Science and Engineering and the University. This new continuing role in our School of Engineering in Macquarie’s Teaching & Leadership Job Family
The School of Engineering sits within the Faculty of Science and Engineering and is a diverse community of academics blazing new trails in the spirit of discovery, exploration and impact. We are talented and knowledgeable engineers and form teams of innovators and creators with a passion for teaching and a strong desire to make an impact in research. The School currently has approximately 40 academics and 70 research students, and an ever-growing cohort of undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students.
In Macquarie's Faculty of Science and Engineering you'll join passionate researchers and educators blazing new trails in the spirit of discovery and exploration. Encouraged to think boldly, and supported by some of Australia's most outstanding facilities, brilliant minds converge in our faculty to create incredible new possibilities: the world's first attempt to synthesize complex life, the creation of Wi-Fi, the discovery of dancing dwarf galaxies, and the development of blue LED light. Inspired by challenge and opportunity, we look forward to welcoming you as we imagine a new future together.
In the School of Engineering we are committed to improving the diversity of our team by building an equitable and inclusive culture. For, instance, we strongly encourage applications from experienced individuals who are looking to return to the workforce, changing career path or cannot commit to full-time work. You will have access to flexible working hours, on-site parking and generous parental leave allowances.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 55 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
About the Role
To be considered for this position, candidates must attach to their application a separate document responding to the selection criteria below:
- PhD or equivalent industry experience in Civil Engineering
- A commitment to the education of student engineers and continuing professional development of engineering graduates
- A deep interest in pedagogical approaches that can help to engage students and enhance graduate employability
- Ability and enthusiasm to design courses for an undergraduate Civil Engineering program
- A strong record in teaching or work experience, and a strong desire to achieve excellent outcomes in teaching.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and with other members of the University
- Teaching experience using Problem/Team Based Learning
- Experience in the supervision of project students or team members
- Industry experience relevant to the various disciplines of Civil Engineering
- Demonstrated ability to attract research grants and/or industry support
Role Specific Enquiries: If you have any queries regarding these positions, please contact Prof. Darren Bagnall, Dean, School of Engineering at firstname.lastname@example.org or +61 2 9850 9071.
Applications Close: Sunday, 11th October 2020 at 11:55 pm
Given current Australian Government COVID-19 border restrictions applications for this position are only being accepted from Australian citizens or permanent residents or people currently residing in Australia with full working rights.
At Macquarie University, we are committed to providing a working environment where each individual is valued, respected and supported to progress. Our priority is to ensure culture, policies and processes are truly inclusive and that no-one is disadvantaged on the basis of their Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identity, gender, culture, disability, LGBTIQA+ identities, family and caring responsibilities, age, or religion. We encourage everyone who meets the selection criteria and shares Macquarie University’s values of scholarship, empowerment