Life Science Technician II
This position is represented by SEIU Local 2007 and the collective bargaining agreement between the university and SEIU Local 2007 governs the terms and conditions of employment.
The Department of Genetics at Stanford University seeks a Life Science Technician (LST) II to assist with research projects in genetics, genomics and molecular biology fields. The LST II will perform genomics and other experimental procedures of molecular biology independently but according to the specific instructions. These include but not limited to the extraction of DNA or RNA from the blood or tissue samples, PCR, qPCR, prepare all sorts of next generation libraries manually or by robot, cluster them on cBot, and run them on Illumina HiSeq sequencing machines.
- B.S. with >3 years laboratory experience; M.S. with >1 years laboratory experience is highly preferred; major in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Genomics or related fields
- Hands on experience with molecular biology techniques.
- Good organizational skills, and must be detail-oriented and able to keep an accurate record of experimental results
- Troubleshooting and testing of developmental workflows
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and related research
- Offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with staff and graduate post-doctoral individuals
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed
- Help orient and train new staff or students, Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse group of staff
- Ability to use scientific software of sequencing, and Microsoft office including Word, Excell, and powerpoint
- Other duties may also be assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Two years of laboratory experience or two years of college coursework in the scientific discipline a combination of equivalent education and relevant work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
Work at the Life Science Technician II level requires experience and ability beyond that required for the Life Science Technician I, including increased technical skills and problem-solving abilities.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand.
- Ability to stand and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Occasionally lift and handle materials up to 10 pounds
- Rarely carry/pull and/or push up to 20 pounds
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Work occurs in a research laboratory environment. Depending on research, may work in the vicinity of animals, chemicals, gasses, or hazardous materials. Expected to follow all safety requirements and procedures including wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) if required.
WORK STANDARDS (from JDL):
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu and the appropriate collective bargaining agreement at https://cardinalatwork.stanford.edu/hr-processes-policiespolicies/labor-relations-collective-bargaining.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 5644
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A24
- Department URL: http://genetics.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 87156