Senior UX/UI Researcher
This is an 18 month Fixed Term Position.
Stanford Web Services (SWS) is an award-winning agency within Stanford University providing web strategy, user experience, visual design, and web development services to the campus community. SWS is part of University Information Technology (UIT), a 600-person strong organization supporting 100+ services for Stanford.
SWS takes pride in our mission to care for Stanford’s ever-evolving web presence, because supporting the research and education mission of a world-class university can make a positive impact in the world. We craft usable, secure, accessible, and beautiful websites and connect with our clients and partners through friendly and clear communication and creative problem-solving. Also, we don’t build one website at a time: we build tools to drive better development for everyone. We built the Stanford Sites Drupal CMS, use GitHub to share our code, contribute to open source, and manage a growing library of responsive design patterns in collaboration with others. In short, SWS evolves products to empower the Stanford community, from storytellers to technologists and everyone in between!
SWS is seeking a Senior UX/UI Researcher to take a leading role informing the UX and product/project teams what would ensure excellent user experiences with our products and services on a wide variety of projects. In this role, you will:
- Lead design research on client-funded projects by collaborating with diverse team members to establish a user research strategy, execute research to develop a deep understanding of needs, and build the data to create thoughtful, accessible, and creative solutions.
- Prioritize, organize, and produce UX research, including formative and evaluative testing, analyzing research data, packaging, and presenting findings as well as strategies for addressing learnings.
- Continually improve products by advocating for the user and integrating user research findings and client feedback into product/project requirements and project cycles.
- Grow our team's UX and design practices by leading design research reviews, establishing standards and processes, and encouraging peer feedback.
The following is the standard job description for this type of position at Stanford and includes information about general responsibilities that might help you decide. If it sounds like a good fit, please apply. We’re a great team doing great things!
Lead or supervise the definition, design, testing and delivery of applications with user interfaces; ensure designs are aligned with user needs, accessibility standards and underlying technology. Create information architecture and user interface designs for given systems. Ensure designs follow Stanford’s online accessibility policies through implementing alternative technologies. Contribute to creating a shared vision and strategy for user experience in alignment with department and university goals.
- Lead and conduct user research, create personas, identify required tasks and information flows for given systems.
- Create design artifacts, including information architecture, requirements, wireframes, data flows, graphic design assets, and related documentation.
- Make designs compliant with Stanford’s online accessibility policies through implementing alternative technologies.
- Create application code to manifest the designs, or work with software engineers to develop them.
- Define usability testing on applications during the development lifecycle.
- Maintain an understanding of evolving industry standards and trends. Find opportunities to refine existing capabilities and demonstrate new ones.
- Analyze metrics and user feedback for issues and opportunities for improvement; collaborate closely with others to identify defects in application functionality or design and create strategies for mitigation.
- Collaborate with partners to develop and maintain consistent standards for the end-to-end user experience.
- May supervise others.
- Other duties may also be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and five years of experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to define UX vision and inspire others to execute against it.
- Advanced knowledge of computer systems, business processes and workflow.
- Demonstrated experience in designing web applications
- Experience with designing and front-end development of websites built with Drupal and WordPress.
- Experience in responsive design, and application of HCI to mobile application development.
- Experience in designing for accessibility, ensuring adequate access to information through assistive technologies.
- Defining and leading user research, user testing, usability testing and analysis.
- Skill in developing specifications and mockups using UI design tools and/or programming in web application languages.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to bridge functional and technical resources by communicating effectively with individuals of varying systems expertise.
- Ability to design and document sophisticated business systems.
- Proven problem solving and analytical thinking and ability to approach problems logically and systematically.
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and multidisciplinary teams.
Certificates and Licenses Required
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Strong visual acuity.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
We’re located in Redwood City. Our new Stanford Redwood City campus is open and brings together 2,700 staff in a collaborative environment that reflects Stanford’s culture and mission. The campus offers amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center. As of June 2020, much of University IT is working remotely to support the university. This position will begin as 100% remote and may transition to on-site at a later date.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
Apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit an online application and include a cover letter, résumé, and link to your online portfolio.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4817
- Employee Status: Fixed-Term
- Grade: K
- Requisition ID: 87292