Chair, Emergency Medicine and Critical Care, Assignment
Organization Name Khalifa University Emergency Medicine & Critical Care - College of Medicine and Health Sciences
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (MI), Khalifa University of Science,Technology and Research (KUSTAR), and the Petroleum Institute (PI) into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering.
The Chair of the Department of Emergency Medicine& Critical Care is responsible for developing and implementing department plans and procedures as well as ensuring the continuity of long-term planning and operational execution in the educational, clinical, research, and administrative activities of the department.
Academic Programs and Policies
Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and faculty to plan, develop, implement, assess and improve courses, programs and services that support the College’s academic mission.
Formulates and supports educational programs for the department in coordination with affiliate partners.
Ensures adequate support, for all phases of the College’s education programs.
Ensures the department’s academic activities are in alignment with accreditation guidelines;
Supports the college’s medical student support services, including wellness and career guidance.
- Works with the Dean and Associate Deans to coordinate the clinical activities of the department.
- Maintains standards of care appropriate to the discipline.
- Ensures clinical faculty and residents comply with policies and procedures necessary to ensure the success of the academic program.
- Maintains a continuing review of the professional performance of all practitioners with clinical privileges in the department.
- Conveys to appropriate committees the department's recommendations concerning the appointment and reappointment of faculty, and the delineation of clinical privileges for all clinicians in the department.
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and Khalifa University’s Office of Research Support to develop research plans that align with the College’s mission and vision and address institutional priorities.
- Oversees and supports the development of research and research training programs for the CMHS.
- Supports and mentors departmental faculty who participate in research
Administrative & People Management
- In consultation with the Dean and Associate Deans, actively works with the Office of Human Resources to recruit and retain high quality faculty and staff for the department.
- Manages faculty and staff by defining job expectations; plans, monitors, and appraises faculty and staff performance; coaches, counsels and actively participates in the departmental employees’ on-boarding, mentoring and professional development.
- Schedules and assigns faculty workload allowing for an appropriate mix of participation in the College’s academic, clinical, research and service activities.
- Communicates the College’s and University's strategic goals and new policy developments to employees of the department.
- Recommends promotions, salary adjustments and other personnel actions to the Dean and Associate Deans.
- Provides information or prepares reports as and when needed.
- Ensures adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and reports breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensures coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Performs any other tasks assigned by the Dean and his line managers.
- Provides coaching,guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensures the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommends appropriate training courses as per pre-determined training needs, evaluates their effectiveness, and monitors their results.
- Carries out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommends necessary actions as per applied practices.
- Conducts periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Follows-up on employees' administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs.
MD and/or PhD in a relevant field of study.
Qualified for faculty appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or higher.
Significant leadership experience as a chair, vice chair, division chief or program director in a relevant medical school department.
Completed at least seven years of relevant academic experience, with at least two years in an administrative academic role.
Demonstrable accomplishments in teaching, research, healthcare delivery, and/or service at a level commensurate of a Full Professor.
Completion of a degree in management.
Strong record reflecting excellence in education, clinical practice, and/or research.
Proven management experience, requisite expertise in working collaboratively with faculty members and medicine professionals, strong interpersonal skills, and a thorough understanding of university structure and culture are essential.
Demonstrable ethical behavior, professionalism, interpersonal skills, leadership and management abilities that are sufficient to effectively direct and develop staff and students.
Seven (7) or more years of experience in leading and successfully managing educational programs in a medical school, including 5 years of teaching experience at the level of Associate or Full Professor.
Experience in health care management.
How To Apply
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae).