Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor in China Studies
School: School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department: Department of China Studies
Position Title : Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor in China Studies
Academic Descipline : Chinese History, Culture and Language/ Chinese Politics/ Chinese Society
Vacant Number: Totally four, one for Chinese History, Culture and Language, one for Chinese Politics and two for Chinese Society
Location: Suzhou Campus
Assistant Professor : 27,929 – 30,279RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 34,219RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post);
Associate Professor：34,738 – 37,469 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 41,063 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Professor：The salary package is more competitive
Advertisement Closing Date: 16th October 2020
The Department of China Studies is an integral part of Humanities and Social Sciences School. It is a unique composition of committed teachers and researchers that dedicate their efforts to developing teaching programmes and high-quality research. As the academic staff come from all over the world, the Department offers a variety of approaches in teaching and a comprehensive research agenda. All staff members are by default bilingual (English – Chinese), and research and publish in their own discipline, as well as in the field of China studies. Academic activities of the Department focus on three areas: China's history, language and culture; society and politics; and economy and business development. As an education unit, the Department offers undergraduate (BA), and postgraduate (MA and PhD) programmes in China Studies. The language of instruction is English, and all the programmes are open to both Chinese and international students. The Department also offers a one-year Diploma in China Studies for visiting international students and has an active outreach educational programme for staff at XJTLU and the wider community.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Department seeks to appoint one Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Senior Associate Professor/Professor in Chinese History, Culture and Language/ Chinese Politics/ Chinese Society. The successful appointee will be expected to coordinate and deliver modules in the corresponding fields; to supervise Master’s and PhD students; to contribute to the curriculum development; to undertake research in his/her area of specialisation on both individual and group projects, and to be actively engaged in the publication of the research; and to participate in the administration and development of the Department of China Studies, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, or the University.
- A PhD in relevant fields ( Sinology, History, Cultural Studies, Chinese Studies,etc./ Sociology, Anthropology, Geography, Development Studies, etc./Politics, International Studies, Political Economy, Area Studies, etc.).
- Evidence of the ability to produce high quality research publications.
- Good teaching experience in relevant subjects within a university (Two-year full-time teaching experience in higher education is required by the Chinese work permit policy).
- Ability to teach in English.
- Good language skills in both English and Chinese.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues in higher education.
Desirable Competencies and Skills:
- Strong track record in teaching and academic supervision.
- Ability to teach bilingually (English-Chinese).
- Strong track record in an international research profile in the field.
- A record of successful research funding application.
- Highly developed organisational and administrative skills.
Members of Academic Staff receive generous subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, and medical insurance. A relocation allowance is provided. Non-Chinese passport holders may qualify for multi-year income tax “holidays”, depending on nationality and tax residency.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your applications online, https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=1694&company=xjtlu . Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For general enquiries, please email the Recruiting Team at Recruiting.email@example.com. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Dr Geoffrey Chun-fung Chen at Chunfirstname.lastname@example.org.
More searches like this
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Academic Posts jobs in China
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Professors / Chairs jobs in China
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in China
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in China