Human Research Protection Program Associate Director
6 days left
- Full Time
Who are we?
The Research Compliance Office (RCO) is responsible for oversight and management of Stanford’s Administrative (Compliance) Panels and ensures compliance with applicable policies, accreditation standards and external regulations. Our goal at RCO is to help facilitate research and to make sure it is done safely, ethically, and legally. We make being service-oriented a priority.
We are seeking a candidate who can provide strategic and operational direction for the Stanford RCO Human Research Protection Program (HRPP).
In this position, under the direction of the RCO Deputy Director, you will ensure quality and accountability of the eight federally mandated IRB Panels, and develop metrics to assess effectiveness of the program. A primary responsibility will be to ensure that all activities related to protocols involving human participants in medical and non-medical research are performed in compliance with federal, state and local regulations, Stanford University policies, and accreditation standards. You will also be involved in:
- Developing policies and procedures and ensuring implementation by team members, particularly those mandated by accrediting bodies
- Evaluate emerging regulatory requirements, and advising on the appropriate institutional response.
- Developing and maintaining senior level internal and external relationships with a range of contacts (e.g., Stanford, other university-affiliated entities, and federal, state, and local agencies) to represent the HRPP IRB interests and promote research compliance.
- Ensuring program accountability for federally mandated research review committees and maintaining compliance with federal, state, and local regulations applicable to research projects involving participation of human participants.
- Providing advice and leadership on complex risk management issues; lead and support all research compliance committees and administrative activities.
- Ensuring all operational activities related to protocol activities involving human participants in medical and non-medical research meet timely achievement of goals.
- Managing the work of other employees, recommending hiring or disciplinary actions or providing coaching, training and mentoring. Determining staffing needs and make hiring or firing decisions, as needed, with final approval from director/deputy director.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and seven years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Expert knowledge of regulatory information regarding the use of human participation in research and teaching.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of human research protection standards.
- Expert knowledge of grants and contracts function.
- Significant working knowledge of research procedures and terminology, medical terminology, clinical trials, and research data management.
- In-depth understanding of operational requirements pertaining to management and implementation of protocol process.
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated strategic oversight experience.
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Advanced knowledge of human subjects regulations and best practices, as evidenced by certification (e.g., Certified IRB Professional).
- Knowledge of medical/scientific areas, such as gene transfer, stem cells, cellular biology, biosafety, health and safety, and epidemiology.
- Direct IRB experience, preferably with an Association for Accreditation of Human Research Participant Protection Programs accredited institution.
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
- Ability to obtain or retain Institutional Review Board professional certification.
Please note this position may require the following:
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends or non-standard hours based on project or business needs.
- Occasional cross campus and local travel
- Frequently perform desk based computer tasks, seated work and use light/ fine grasping.
- Occasionally stand, walk, and write by hand, lift, carry, push/ pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory for all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with any disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or another other characteristic protected by law.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4936
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: L
- Requisition ID: 87086