Department PPPL Engineering and Infrastrc
Category Building Trades and Technicians
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Work Schedule Second shift: 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM
The Engineering team at PPPL is seeking an experienced Senior Machinist to provide their talents in the production of high precision machined parts for use in dynamic fusion energy research. As an expert machinist, you'll have an important role in providing design feedback, concept development, peer reviews, and machining procedures.
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world.
The Senior Machinist runs various CNC and conventional mills and lathe machines for production of high precision machined parts for use in the experiments at the laboratory. This role additionally assigns jobs and provides feedback for designs, concept development, peer reviews, and machining procedures. As a competent machinist, he/she also processes work orders, performs periodic and emergency maintenance on the equipment per machine manufacturer’s requirement, and ensures a safe work practice and safe environment.
- Machine parts according to drawings and solid models
- Design and manufacture custom work holding and tooling and fixtures as required
- Perform measurements and inspection of machined parts
- Consider safety as a priority for yourself and others in active promotion of a safe work environment
- Ensure safety by performing routine maintenance of equipment in the shop
- Adopt and enforce the shop and Engineering Department’s procedures, to ensure full compliance during execution of duties.
- Interface with the First shift supervisor to process authorized work orders in a timely manner, and provide progress status
- Provide feedback for process improvement, designs of own workstations and shop area, equipment designs, concept development, peer reviews, and propose viable options
Education & Experience:
- High school Diploma or GED required;
- Vocational technology trade school or Associates Degree and CNC Certificate are a plus
- Electrical Technology Certificate a plus
- 10+ years of experience operating CNC machines; 3, 4 and 5 axis programming and machining; prior HAAS machine tools experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be expert Mastercam user;
- Experience with ProtoTRAK ; CAD CAM concept a plus
Thorough knowledge of:
- Machining operations including lathes, milling machines, surface grinders, large vertical and horizontal milling machines, and 2 & 3 axis CNC machines for automated and manual operations
- Properties of specialty materials such as Inconel, Copper, and non-metals such as phenolic, ceramics and FRP; as regards to machinability, tooling, and suitable operational parameters
- Travelers/Routers/Job processing
General Knowledge of:
- Geometrical tolerances and drafting symbols
- Rigging and hoisting in the machine shop and necessary safety precautions in use of rotating tools, parts, and prevention of the associated hazards
- Communicate effectively in a cross functional team environment
- Plan own work load and to ensure timely completion with safety and quality in mind
- Translate engineering drawings or solid models into machine program by direct download or design
- Develop program, simulate, troubleshoot, and optimize machining program
- Perform high precision machining to tight tolerances (0.0005”)
- Use high precision inspection and measuring tools to verify conformance with the requirements and tolerances
- Provide estimate and plan work assigned
- Excellent math skills commensurate with geometric calculations and other necessary calculations and conversions
- Time management skills
Must be able to lift up to 35 pounds and operate manual and numerically controlled machine tools
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.