Hoisting and Rigging Engineer
Department PPPL Engineering and Infrastrc
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is seeking an experienced hoisting and rigging engineer. The successful candidate will design lifting fixtures, develop lift plans and oversee the execution of critical lifts in support of NSXT-U and other experiments, as well as ensuring equipment and personnel are compliant with applicable standards and laboratory requirement.
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world.
- Design custom lifting fixtures per ASME standards and develop associated procedures;
- Supervise critical lifts of high value components;
- Use own expertise to ensure safety of the lifting activities by application of appropriate safety factors in design, by sound planning and execution of the lifts and by compliance with the applicable standards and laboratory procedures;
- Work with stakeholders in defining lift requirements and interfaces with affected systems;
- Review lifting plans developed by others to ensure compliance with the applicable standards;
- Oversee upkeep and maintenance of hoisting and rigging equipment, installed and mobile;
- Manage safe keeping of hoisting and rigging devices;
- Plan and supervise regular inspection and testing of equipment;
- Plan and monitor upkeep of training and certification of the operators;
- Act as technical authority (TA) in review and approval of fixtures, tools, and procedures;
- Act as Princeton Technical Representative in procurement of hoisting and rigging equipment;
- Ensure the laboratory standards and procedures up to date with applicable industry, OSHA, and DOE standards;
- Work in compliance with the PPPL Hoisting and Rigging Program;
- Work with the available resources of the Engineering department to develop design and analytical packages;
- Participate in design reviews and follow applicable Department Procedures from concept development to release.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in the hoisting and rigging field
- Intimately familiar with hoisting and rigging equipment and proper rigging techniques
- Knowledgeable about hoisting and rigging rules and regulations including OSHA, ASME, WSTDA and other related crane and rigging standards
- Capable of recognizing poor rigging techniques in the field
- Familiar with mobile crane operations including reviewing mobile crane reeving and setup requirements, reading complex load charts and performing outrigger ground bearing load calculations
- Familiarity with NCCCO desirable
- PE license desirable
- Capable of climbing at heights well above 25 feet including overhead crane ladders
- Capable of lifting 40 lbs
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.