To support the Assistant Director of Business Assurance (Audit) in undertaking a range of internal audit and business assurance work designed to enhance the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the College and in accordance with the requirements of the Office for Students (OfS).
The range of required internal audit assignments will include some collaborative exercises but in the main will be conducted independently of other members of the department. Therefore, the successful candidate will need to be comfortable working as a team player but also a confident self-starter, capable of performing end to end audit exercises (including scoping, fieldwork, reporting and follow-up) themselves. In addition to internal audit and other review work, the post-holder may also be required to undertake other work relating to the department’s activities, such as that relating to the College’s arrangements for risk management, business continuity planning, compliance, business assurance and improving efficiency.
As the Internal Audit Department is a small team, there may occasionally be a few administrative duties associated with the post although these constitute a small proportion of the overall workload.
The Department of Business Assurance reports into the Office of the Chairman and College Secretariat and has a dual mission within the university. At one level, it exists to provide assurance on the effectiveness of the management of the university to its governing body, mainly through regular reports to the Audit, Risk and Compliance Committee (ARCC). At a more operational level, the department also has an important role to play in providing support to management by identifying potential improvements to systems and processes in use at the university. In this way, the department provides a key link between the operational and governance levels of the university.
Primarily, this role is based at Waterloo, London but will require travel to other London campuses within the university.
- In accordance with the university’s approved strategic audit plan, to take professional responsibility for undertaking specific internal audit assignments covering regularity and systems audits, as well as providing support in relation to value for money, strategic reviews and other investigations;
- To undertake follow-up reviews relating to the implementation of agreed management actions;
- To assist in the preparation of summary internal audit reports and other relevant documentation for meetings of the Audit, Risk and Compliance Committee (ARCC);
- Key outputs for audit and other review work would include the preparation of reports with clear analysis and suggested actions where necessary, as well as their presentation, discussion and agreement with appropriate managers;
- The post-holder will be expected to work on their own initiative, which will include responsibility for work planning and day-to-day scheduling of activities, meetings etc., within a broad programme of work agreed by the Assistant Director of Business Assurance (Audit);
- The Internal Auditor will be expected to keep abreast of relevant financial and audit legislation/developments and will be required to maintain the appropriate professional standards in the conduct of internal audit assignments.
- The role holder is expected to engage with stakeholders from across the university at all levels of seniority and will be required to promote a positive attitude towards culture change across the university, including amongst the most senior managers.
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Relevant degree in Business, Management, Economics, Finance, Accounting or Risk
- Professional qualification in internal audit, finance / accounting or risk management
- Extensive, demonstrable internal audit, risk and controls experience and knowledge
- Attention to detail
- Good negotiation and influencing skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a wider team
- Experience in successfully managing audits and team members
- Understanding of the Higher Education sector and the relevant regulatory landscape
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion and display a professional attitude to all work colleagues, both internal and external to the organisation
- Strong IT skills (including Word, Excel and corporate systems)
- Experience of communicating effectively (both in writing and verbally) with stakeholders at all levels, including the most senior
- Ability to deal with complexity and uncertainty, and explain risk and control issues with clarity
- Demonstrable IT auditing experience and qualifications
- Experience of reviewing complex projects and change management initiatives
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
No enquires from agencies please.
This advertisement does not meet the requirements for a Certificate of Sponsorship under Home Office regulations and therefore the university will not be able to offer sponsorship for this role.
More searches like this
- Business & Management Professional Services jobs in London (Greater)
- Business & Management Finance & Procurement jobs in London (Greater)
- Business & Management Knowledge Transfer / Business Links jobs in London (Greater)
- Business & Management Planning jobs in London (Greater)
- Business & Management Other Professional Services jobs in London (Greater)