Director of Technology and Communication
Vice Provost for Graduate Education
The Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education (VPGE) is a dynamic and fast-paced team that delivers programs to Stanford’s 9,000+ graduate students and 3,000+ postdoctoral scholars. The office works collaboratively across the university, with schools and other Vice Provost units, to enhance the graduate educational experience. The VPGE supports programs, administration and service to the university community and graduate students in five portfolio areas: fellowships and funding, professional development, diversity and inclusion, interdisciplinary learning and academic guidance.
In this rewarding position, you will be responsible for leading the strategic application of Information Technology to all aspects of the VPGE's goals and objectives. Under the direction of the Associate Vice Provost, you will contribute to the vision, strategy, and goals of the Office of the VPGE. Responsibilities include developing and integrating multiple websites, including two managed by VPGE on behalf of the university (VPGE site, Grad Gateway, Graduate Academic Policies and Procedures handbook (GAP), Diversity Works, and the developing IDEAL Graduate Recruitment Portal); analyzing and translating the needs of VPGE staff for efficient and effective processes; offer training and apply technical best practices and campus-wide technology initiatives. You will also lead the specification of requirements and/or design solutions for business information systems and incorporate new technical systems to improve work-flow, production, efficiency and effectiveness across the VPGE team; and serve as project manager on multiple cross-unit initiatives.
- Analyze, design and implement complex management information systems. Manage multiple, complex IT projects, such as the development of robust student- and faculty-facing application systems and innovative multi-channel, technology-based communication strategies.
- Lead efforts to ensure that information systems support the organizational mission and objectives and coordinate the process of defining, investigating and solving problems related to business systems and special projects, such as the multi-year application system development process, coordinating with 3rd party vendors, University HR, Registrar’s Office, University IT (UIT), and VPGE staff.
- Manage, from a client business perspective, the requirements for related systems projects, such as application systems including the interactive Graduate Professional Development Framework; ensure a high level of client satisfaction by monitoring the delivery of ongoing information systems to the organization.
- Lead and coordinate extensive studies to assist business owners in evaluating the potential for automating existing or proposed work functions or processes. Analyze and advance the usability and accessibility of VPGE’s digital assets including websites, social media channels, online application systems, and learning management systems.
- Lead the elicitation and gathering of business and systems requirements using interviews, surveys, job shadowing and other elicitation techniques. Ensure adherence to university accessibility requirements, liaising with and responding to Stanford Online Accessibility Program (SOAP).
- Analyze new business requirements, system functionality, current system use and user needs; specify functional designs and work with developers and analysts to implement. Understand unique technical needs of new staff and integrate them into VPGE's, President and Provost’s Office’s (PPO), and Stanford’s systems, including training, providing access to systems, troubleshooting issues, etc.
- Develop system design for new or revised business systems; operational audits and organizational structures; manage and troubleshoot VPGE participation in university-wide IT initiatives; ensure all devices meet security and encryption requirements, including in office and mobile personal devices used for work purposes.
- Plan, direct, coordinate, monitor and review the work of others during all phases of the project team's work and coordinates the planning, development and presentation of training for users of business systems.
- Manage external vendor or partner relationships. Oversee 3rd party vendor for application system and external developers and other relationships. Serve as primary liaison with University IT, Stanford Web Services, Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning, and other key campus partners in technology innovations.
- Oversee technical aspects of communication and marketing strategies; ensure excellent quality control and adherence to university policies and best practices.
- Lead the development and maintenance of Canvas-based learning opportunities for students, including the virtual orientation for new graduate students, Grad Connect.
- Create and distribute monthly VPGE e-newsletter to over 10,000 subscribers and oversee other electronic campaigns as requested by the Vice Provost or other campus leaders and VPGE staff.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- A Bachelor’s Degree and 8 years of relevant experience; or combination of education and relevant experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to bridge functional and technical resources by communicating effectively with individuals of varying systems expertise and business needs
- Demonstrated excellence in project management and ability to effectively manage multiple projects/priorities
- Knowledge of computer system capabilities, business processes, and work flow
- Current knowledge of rapidly changing computer technology
- Extensive experience with enterprise applications and understanding of database driven applications
- Ability to design and document complex business systems
- Proven problem solving and analytical thinking and ability to approach problems logically and systematically
- Knowledge of principles and techniques used in conducting management studies and in systems analysis
- Strong listening, negotiation, and collaboration skills
- Strong analytical and business skills, including capacity to manage budgets, analyze market research and data, and manage marketing programs/services
- Proven track record of executing successful marketing strategies
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams to execute goals and problem-solve effectively
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
- Master’s Degree or higher, preferably in technical field
- 5-10 years professional experience in position that requires independence and leadership
- Familiarity with or eagerness to work within Stanford Web Services’ Drupal stack
- Experience in higher education preferred
*Please note this position will require occasional work on evenings and weekends and provide on-call emergency communications or technical support
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a resume along with your online application.
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Stanford welcomes applications from all who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching and clinical missions.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4773
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K
- Requisition ID: 86861