General Manager of Yale Golf Course
The Yale Golf Course is recognized as one of the finest examples of early American golf course design. Golf Magazine ranked Yale as 71st among the 100 most difficult courses in the world. Many recognize the layout as the best collegiate course in the nation. The General Manager of the Yale Golf Course is responsible for the successful operation of all aspects of the course and its associated facilities.
The General Manager will provide professional leadership and financial and business expertise to develop, implement and manage the short term and long term strategic plans. He/she will be responsible for the financial health of the golf course, developing budgets, projecting revenue and managing all expenses. The position requires excellent analytical and financial skills to develop and implement the short term and long-term strategic plans to maintain and improve Yale’s golf course.
This new position requires excellent interpersonal skills to engage with employees, students, alumni, and members of the public. This position will supervise and direct the activities of the course superintendent, provide leadership in the coordination with athletic department and university facility staff in planning and maintaining facilities and grounds, provide direction and input in planning for capital renovations and repairs, and other needs of the course. The General Manager will hire, train and manage exempt and non-exempt employees who run golf course operations including the employees in the pro shop, starters/rangers, cart barn and office. She/he will also be responsible for grounds management, upkeep and general appearance of the course. Additional responsibilities include all repairs and renovations of the course, food and beverage operations, and management of all golf course operations and grounds staff.
- Builds the golf course’s long- and short-range objectives, goals, policies and programs.
- Develops, maintains and administers strategic annual and long-range plans to maintain and improve the golf course.
- Develops and controls the golf course budget, projects revenue and manages all expenses and responsible for overall financial stability of the operation.
- Directs day-to-day financial and business activities of the course including the pro shop, driving range, membership and golf services, food and beverage operations, business office, and course maintenance and grounds operations.
- Monitors the quality of the golf course’s products and services, and ensures maximum value of services to customers and/or members. Works closely with athletic department leadership, coaches and staff to facilitate team needs and coordinate the hosting of tournaments, championships and other department or university uses at the course.
- Provide leadership in the coordination with athletic department and university facility staff in planning and maintaining facilities and grounds.
- Provide direction and input in planning for capital renovations and repairs, and other needs of the course. Implements corrective measures.
- Develops, implements and enforces golf course operating policies and procedures.
- Hires, supervises and manages golf course personnel excluding grounds staff.
- Effectively manages and administers all union regulations and creates a strong and effective team environment.
- Fosters positive and productive relationships between the golf facility and its directors, golfers, guests, employees, community and industry.
- Assures all operations adhere to athletics department, Yale University, NCAA, Ivy League and PGA regulations and policies.
- Enforces compliance with University purchasing protocols.
- Keeps members and customers adequately informed of the activities of the golf course and encourages their participation.
- Ensures sound relationships are maintained between staff and customers and/or members, and that proper consideration is given to customer and/or member complaints and suggestions.
- Serves as liaison to maintain positive community relations.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree. Minimum five years of experience in a service-oriented, hospitality industry, such as golf course management, hotel, resort, restaurant, retail or sports management or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Proven track record as a strategic leader with experience in a complex organization. Demonstrated financial management experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Considerable knowledge and experience in managing and directing all operations for a golf facility including the ability to train and supervise staff in the proper policies and procedures of golf course operations, develop budgets and business procedures, clubhouse and cart operations, golf merchandising and equipment trends.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Knowledge and experience in all aspects of golfing retail operations, food services and related amenities.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Knowledge of accounting and financial management principles. Examples include uniform system of accounts, financial analysis, budgeting, cash flow forecasting, financing capital projects, audits, internal revenue system, computers, business office organization and long-range financial planning. Sales and marketing knowledge.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Human resource management skills such as employee relations, management styles, organizational development, time management, labor issues and leadership vs. management. Successful experience working in a team environment.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Effective negotiation skills. Ability to effectively and persuasively communicate with many varied audiences. Ability to quickly and successfully diffuse, manage and resolve conflict situations.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Master’s degree. Experience in golf course management. Experience managing Union employees. Knowledge of building and facilities management in the areas of preventative maintenance, insurance and risk management, clubhouse/building remodeling and renovation, contractors, energy and water resource management, and security operations.
Ability to stand and walk for extended periods and work in inclement weather conditions.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note Yale University is a tobacco-free campus