Station Manager, Hans Hoheisen Wildlife Research Station
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
HANS HOHEISEN WILDLIFE RESEARCH STATION
POST LEVEL 7
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Hans Hoheisen Wildlife Research Station (HHWRS), near Orpen in Mpumalanga, is a research platform managed by the Faculty of Veterinary Science. The station is within the Greater Kruger National Park and approximately 70km from Hoedspruit (the nearest town). Facilities at the station include a main building that houses a number of research laboratories (including a BSL 2+ laboratory), offices and an auditorium that seats 88 people, as well as a number of small flats where researchers, visitors and students are accommodated. The Faculty is looking for a Station Manager, who will be responsible for the management and administration of HHWRS (including staff, finances and facilities) in accordance with relevant legislation, regulations, UP policies and Faculty operating procedures. The position reports to the Faculty Manager of the Faculty of Veterinary Science. The manager will be expected to stay at the station.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following, which he/she should manage independently:
- General management of the HHWRS, including developing and dynamically updating standard operating procedures for all support activities at the station;
- Directing and coordinating all support staff employed at the station, inclusive of staff development and performance management;
- Ensuring a safe environment for staff, students and visitors;
- Facilities maintenance and provision of bulk services (water, electricity, waste) at HHWRS and assist with facilities maintenance at the Hluvukani Animal Health Centre (30km from HHWRS);
- Compiling annual budgets;
- Controlling the annual operational budget in accordance with UP policies and ensuring strict expenditure control;
- Inspecting all facilities on the HHWRS campus to ensure proper functioning and tidiness;
- Discussing all proposals related to the maintenance and/or upgrading of facilities with the Faculty Manager and assist in drafting and execution of plans in this regard.
- A relevant BSc or equivalent degree;
- 10 years’ experience, of which three years must be in a managerial capacity;
- Experience in financial management.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, production methods and co-ordination of people and resource;
- Well-developed planning, organisational and supervisory skills;
- Learning facilitation and/or instruction skills;
- Computer literacy;
- Appropriate communication and language skills in English, both written and verbal;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; and
- Ability to work independently and in isolation.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Work experience in a research facility/station; and
- Work experience in an academic environment.
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications; and
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 12 August 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms GD Maseko, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for application-related enquiries, and Dr PEA van Dam, Tel: (012) 529 8203 for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 October 2020 , please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.