Senior Instructional Professor in Data Science
5 days left
- Full Time
The University of Chicago: Physical Sciences Division: Department of Statistics
The University of Chicago invites applications for a Senior Instructional Professor position in the area of Data Science. The selected candidate will be appointed as Assistant Senior Instructional Professor, Associate Senior Instructional Professor, or Senior Instructional Professor, with rank determined by qualifications and years of experience in a similar role. The appointment will be for a term of up to five years, renewable. This is a career-track position with competitive salary and benefits.
The University of Chicago is initiating an ambitious plan for research and education in Data Science including new academic programs at the undergraduate level. The initiative is a collaboration among the Department of Computer Science, the Department of Statistics, and other units on campus. We particularly seek individuals who can help us fulfil our educational objectives in data science and who can direct our minor and major undergraduate programs. The person hired will teach in the Data Science program. In addition, in consultation with faculty leadership, the person hired will be responsible for leading the design, development, implementation, and academic administration of the undergraduate curriculum in Data Science; supervising other teaching personnel; and providing academic and career advice to students.
Appointments will be made in either department, jointly between Statistics and Computer Science, or jointly with another department in the University.
The Departments of Computer Science (cs.uchicago.edu) and Statistics (stat.uchicago.edu) at University of Chicago are home to a diverse community of educators and researchers focused on advancing the foundations of statistics and computing, and driving their most advanced applications. The larger data science community includes the Center for Data and Applied Computing, the Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago (TTIC), the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, the Mansueto Institute for Urban Innovation and Argonne National Laboratory.
- A Ph.D. in Statistics, Computer Science, or a related field; two years’ experience teaching in a selective college or university as an instructor of record; and experience in management of academic programs, personnel, and budgets are required.
- Preference will be given to candidates whose training and experience make them exceptionally qualified to teach undergraduate courses and develop curriculum in one or more of the following areas: data science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and applied statistics.
The following materials are required:
- cover letter;
- curriculum vitae;
- statement of teaching philosophy and curricular development experience; ability to interact with a diverse group of students is valued;
- syllabi of courses you have designed and taught;
- description of experience in managing personnel, budgets, and academic programs;
- contact information for three references who can provide confidential letters of evaluation.
The following materials are optional:
Evidence of successful management of programs previously (or evidence of potential to do so)
Applications must be submitted online through the University of Chicago’s Academic Jobs website: http://apply.interfolio.com/77500. Review of applications will begin on August 28, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.