Junior Pharmacist, Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital
FACULTY OF VETERINARY SCIENCE
ONDERSTEPOORT VETERINARY ACADEMIC HOSPITAL
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 8
In the pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The Faculty of Veterinary Science, as the only faculty of its kind in South Africa, has a unique responsibility in training all veterinarians and veterinary nurses. The Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital (OVAH) is instrumental in providing teaching and research support by rendering clinical veterinary services. OVAH is a very busy small and large animal hospital with + 70 staff members. The clinicians and specialists render a 24-hour service in the OVAH, surrounding community and satellite clinics. A pharmacy within the OVAH provides all the clinics with the required pharmaceuticals and non-pharmaceutical supplies.
The Faculty of Veterinary Science invites applications from persons complying with the relevant requirements for the position of a junior pharmacist who will assist the pharmacist with the management and administration of the ordering, receiving, storage, issue, sales, returns and disposal of all pharmacy stock (both pharmaceutical and non-pharmaceutical) in accordance with relevant legislation, regulations, UP policies and Faculty SOP’s. The incumbent will also oversee support staff employed at the OVAH pharmacy and report to the Pharmacist.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Aspects of general management of the OVAH pharmacy, including dynamically updating standard operating procedures for the pharmacy, assisting with quality assurance programmes and implementing new innovations in pharmacy practice;
- Investigating and resolving errors and client complaints;
- Direct supervision of pharmacy technicians and administrative staff;
- Strict inventory control and enforcing all policies relevant to ordering, storing and dispensing of stock, and assisting with regular stock counts and annual stocktake;
- Administration related to specified schedule 5 and 6 drugs with strict adherence to legal requirements;
- Pharmacy duties, both during and after-hours, including dispensing of medicine, consulting with clinicians, students and clients, over-the-counter sales and cash management;
- Assisting with the training of veterinary and veterinary nursing students.
- BPharm or equivalent;
- Registration as pharmacist with the SA Pharmacy Council;
- A minimum of two years’ experience working in a hospital or retail pharmacy.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, production methods and co-ordination of people and resources;
- Well-developed planning, organisational and supervisory skills;
- Learning facilitation and/or instruction skills;
- Computer literacy;
- Excellent communication and language skills in English, both written and verbal;
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Working with and knowledge of veterinary drugs;
- Work in an academic environment;
- Proficiency in Sepedi, Setswana or Zulu.
All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in the relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines. UP subscribes to the BESTMED and UMVUZO medical aid schemes and contributes 50% of the applicable monthly premium.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 5 August 2020
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Granny Maseko, email@example.com for application-related enquiries and contact Dr PEA van Dam, (012) 529 8203 for enquiries relating to post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 September 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.