Department Chair of Veterinary Medicine
Department Chair of Veterinary Medicine
United Arab Emirates University
The United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) is the UAE’s premier teaching and research institution. The first national university in the UAE, founded in 1976, the UAEU is among the nation's most academically diverse universities offering 52 Bachelor’s degree programs, 37 Master’s programs, a Doctor of Medicine (MD), several PhD programs, and a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA). The QS world ranking recently recognized UAEU in the top 300 universities and 27th best ‘Young’ university globally.
With a faculty numbering more than 930 and nearly 14,000 students from 64 nationalities, the flagship university is always striving for self-improvement and holds accreditation with WSCUC, ABET and AACSB. As part of the University’s strategic plan there is a clear agenda to achieve international research stature, by partnering with industry and international research organizations to provide research solutions to challenges faced by the nation, the region, and the world.
The University’’s programs and research continue to garner national and global recognition and rankings. This is attributable to research output increasing by more than 50% in high ranked journals in the past five years and more than half of UAEU'’s research output is published in top quartile journals. UAEU has built its reputation on excellence through cultural diversity; integrity and transparency; innovation; collaboration; engagement; transformation and student focus.
Department of Veterinary Medicine The Department of Veterinary Medicine is part of the College of Food Agriculture & Veterinary Medicine and is the only Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine degree granting body in UAE. The program was launched in 2013-2014 and it has graduated two cohorts of UAE nationals (total 38 veterinarians). Presently, the non-clinical education is taught in the UAE and the clinical education/training is conducted in collaboration with University of Veterinary Medicine, Budapest (UVMB).
The vision of UAEU is to establish a full-fledged College of Veterinary Medicine. As of October 2020, the department will move to a new campus with 9 new laboratories, faculty and staff offices and associated facilities, and will soon offer para-clinical programs. Today, the department includes 11 full-time faculty and three adjunct faculty members and offers basic and para-clinical veterinary medical education.,
The Department of Veterinary Medicine is fortunate to have an outstanding faculty, all of whom hold a doctor of veterinary medicine degree and/or a PhD and research experience. UAEU embraces diversity and inclusion and many of the faculty members, particularly in the Department of Veterinary Medicine, come from culturally diverse backgrounds and bring international best practicely. The Department of Veterinary Medicine is acknowledged nationally for the uniqueness of the BVM program offered in the country.
Desired Attributes, Experiences and Skills
UAEU seeks an individual with a record of distinguished academic achievement and leadership who can thrive in a start-up environment. Clinical experience is preferred and 2-3 years of administrative experience is essential. Key to the success of the Department’s vision and mission is the ability to attract and develop the best talent, expand the current program, introduce a Postgraduate program, develop new clinical laboratories and research centers, and evolve the department into a full-fledged independent unit in the near future. The successful candidate will provide strong leadership, be an advocate for the department, and its faculty, staff, and students within the university community and beyond and provide vision for future development. .
Reporting to and working with the Dean of College of Food Agriculture & Veterinary Medicine, the Chair must be able to work across disciplinary boundaries. The ideal candidate will demonstrate commitment to recruitment, retention, and placement of a diverse group of students, faculty and staff.
The successful candidate will bring the requisite experience and skills to build upon and shape the Department’s strengths. Desired experience and qualifications will include:
- Administrative & Financial: Significant, successful record of administrative leadership and meaningful accomplishment that includes strategic planning, program development and evaluation, supervisory and financial management experience;
- Decision Making: Ability to build consensus and share decision making with multiple stakeholder communities;
- Engage & Collaborate: Demonstrated ability to engage and work collaboratively with faculty, students, staff, alumni, employers, and donors and other external constituencies at all levels in a complex and diverse environment; this includes collaboration between academic units at UAEU as well as external partners;
- Inspire & Facilitate Success of Others: The capacity to work collegially and inspire faculty and students, and in order to facilitate their success;
- Communication: Exceptional written, oral and interpersonal communication skills; ability to articulate the Department’s strengths and effectively advocate for its needs;
- Fundraising: Successful record of, or aptitude for, obtaining external financial support;
- Commitment to Excellence: Demonstrated understanding of the Department’s educational programs and a commitment to the highest standards of academic excellence;
- Vision: Demonstrated use of relevant knowledge, creativity, resourcefulness and diplomacy in facilitating the development of a vision and path for the future;
- Research: Demonstrated ability to foster innovative individual and team research in the basic clinical sciences in order to improve animal health;
- Technology: Familiarity with, and appreciation for, the use of technology in creating and delivering outstanding academic programs.
Education and Qualifications
An earned Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine from an accredited institution with outstanding scholarly accomplishments; and ability to meet standards for appointment at the rank of professor in an academic department of the university. Furthermore, the ideal candidate should have a proven track record of teaching and research, an understanding of veterinary education and its management, and a keen desire to incrementally build the department by adding new dimensions each year to its profile.
The successful candidate should have the ability to shape and energetically lead a diverse and expanding Department, a record of faculty mentorship and development, excellent interpersonal and group communications skills, and administrative abilities.
UAEU offer a competitive compensation package, commensurate with experience, to attract a compelling candidate.
Closing Date for applications: 21st August 2020
Informal enquiries may be made to Prof Bhanu Chowdhary (Dean of College of Food, Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants should apply with a CV and covering letter through the UAEU Jobs portal at https://jobs.uaeu.ac.ae/index.jsp