Teaching Assistant in the College of Business and Management
Position Title Teaching Assistants in the College of Business and Management Academic Year 2020-2021
Disciplines: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Statistics, Entrepreneurship, and Organizational Behavior
Location Hanoi, Vietnam
VinUniversity is a newly developed, private, non-profit university in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was established by Vingroup with a mission to be the first world-class, internationally accredited and recognized university in Vietnam. VinUniversity has two overarching goals: to excel in teaching and to produce graduates and research that contribute to developing the key economic sectors of Vietnam.
The formation of the VinUniversity has resulted from the collaboration of Vingroup with Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. Cornell provides academic consulting on Management, Engineering, and Technology; and Penn focuses on the Health Sciences disciplines. Both Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania are distinguished Ivy League institutions based in the United States of America. Cornell is involved in every aspect of the development of VinUniversity from infrastructure and campus planning to curriculum development and faculty hiring. Cornell’s SC Johnson College of Business is providing extensive academic advisement in a variety of areas, drawing from a wealth of faculty expertise at multiple colleges and units at Cornell University. Penn’s medical and nursing schools are functioning in a similar fashion to guide the formation of health science education at VinUniversity and to interface with Vinmec, Vingroup’s outstanding health system, which currently encompasses 7 hospitals throughout Vietnam. VinUniversity aims to meet the 5-star rating standards of QS Stars and will include the following colleges within the University: a College of Business (including Hospitality and Real Estate); a College of Engineering and Computer Science; and a College of Health Sciences. The University will be an English Medium Instruction (EMI) institution and plans to open for the inaugural class of students in Fall 2020.
Vingroup was established in Ukraine in 1993 by Vietnamese, who were living in the Ukraine. Upon its relocation to Vietnam, the venture officially became Vingroup Joint Stock Company in 2012. Vingroup’s mission is to create a better life for the Vietnamese people. In 2016 and 2017, Vingroup was recognized among the “Top 50 Most Valuable Brands in Vietnam” (by Brand Finance magazine). Today, Vingroup is one of the leading private enterprises in Vietnam, operating in eight core business areas, including real estate, retail, hospitality, education, agriculture, healthcare, heavy industry (starting with automobile manufacturing), and smart technology. In 2016, education and healthcare became not-for-profit value-based systems.
Mr. Pham Nhat Vuong is the founder and chairman of Vingroup, which has $3.97 billion USD in net revenue (2017) and a largest market capitalization value of $13.6 billion USD in Vietnam (2018). Chairman Vuong is a visionary and true patriot of Vietnam and firmly believes that education is the single biggest catalyst that can transform the destiny of an individual, a society, and a nation. His aspiration is to create a breakthrough in the Vietnamese education sector and to groom the next generation of leaders in the 21st century and beyond for Vietnam.
Teaching Assistants are junior lecturers who assist the lead faculty in the classroom. Teaching Assistants supervise student teams/projects in large classes; support the lead faculty to clarify/answer questions students have in class, on Canvas, and via email; grade exams, assignments, and projects; prepare teaching materials, and teach small classes under the guidance and supervision of the lead faculty. The position provides excellent opportunities for working with senior faculty, as well as on-the-job training that will be useful for those interested in an academic career in the future.
- Benefits: Mentorship in the area of teaching in a new higher education environment. Exploration of career path in academia. Development of teaching portfolio useful in professional development for future academic job search and placement.
- Workload: Equivalent to 8 courses/AY plus office hours.
- Assist the lead faculty in preparation of teaching materials
- Online/Canvas: Prepare and manage teaching materials for the assigned courses; clarify/answer questions related to online assignments; facilitate online discussion forum.
- In-Class: Assist the lead faculty in delivering lecture and facilitating active learning by providing more personalized instructions to smaller groups of students; leading and moderating group discussion.
- Teaching responsibility
- Teach small classes to reinforce student learning outcomes.
- Supervise student teams/projects
- Supervise and evaluate student projects, labs, tests and other assessments.
- Grade exams, assignments and projects
- Maintain records on student progress/grades.
- Other tasks as reasonably requested by the lead faculty.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Candidates for the TA position must hold a master’s degree or be a PhD candidate and have a minimum of one year teaching experience in Vietnam or overseas. They must also be highly knowledgeable in their subject area and have excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Candidates also need to be patient and resourceful, organized and careful with time management, and attentive to details. Priority will be given to candidates with active learning experiences, including team-based learning, project-based learning, case-based learning, and experiential learning; and a higher education teaching certificate (required for Vietnamese).
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
- To be considered for a teaching assistant position, please submit a cover letter, CV, sample syllabi, teaching statement, and contact information of three professional references to Human Resources at email@example.com.
- Deadline for application period is mid - August 2020.
- If shortlisted, candidates will be invited to campus for a job talk to conduct a mock teaching of a selected topic from the syllabus, and to present their teaching philosophy to the search committee.
VinUniversity >> https://vinuni.edu.vn
Vietnam Economic Times >> http://vneconomictimes.com/article/business/vingroup-partners-with-cornell-penn-universities
Philadelphia Business Journal >> https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2018/09/12/penn-medicine-vietnam-vinuni-vinmec-global-health.html
Apply for Teaching Assistant in the College of Business and Management
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly