PhD Candidate in Modelling and Simulation of Social Impact and Acceptability
About the position
The Department of Information Security and Communication Technology (https://www.ntnu.edu/iik), at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), in Gjøvik, has a vacancy for a PhD position within the field of modelling and simulation of the social impact and acceptability of modern border control technologies.
This is a researcher training position where it is expected that the candidate defends a PhD at the end-of the contract period.
The PhD candidate will join the METICOS project (A Platform for Monitoring and Prediction of Social Impact and Acceptability of Modern Border Control Technology), a cross-European research project funded under the Horizon 2020 EU research program.
The main goal of the METICOS project is to help provide a step-change for more modern and efficient border management by gaining societal and political acceptance of technologies for “no gate solutions”, not only from the EU citizens but also from the non-EU communities. In order to achieve this, the project aims further to develop a platform able to integrate information systems and networks of sensors in order to validate the efficiency and the users’ acceptance of these Smart Border technologies. The PhD candidate will be working to accomplish the objectives related to the mentioned platform.
The position’s working place is at NTNU’s campus in Gjøvik and reports to the Head of Department
Duties of the position
Depending on the skills of the candidate, different aspects may be emphasized, for instance by focusing on (to name a few):
- Modelling and simulation of the environment and the interactions between passengers and border control technologies and staff;
- Extracting knowledge from social media, surveys and interviews, reports and analyzing the data related to user behavior, user sentiment, social interactions etc.
- Developing methods and tools for social sensing;
- Developing a social sensing pilot toolkit and validating it against the collected data.
Required selection criteria
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is that you have completed a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering or related field, or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic foundation. If you are unable to meet these criteria you may be considered only if you can document that you are particularly suitable for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
- Knowledge of and experience with agent-based modelling and simulation and related tools.
- Ability and flexibility to travel, to meet all project obligations such as attending international meetings in EU, submitting deliverables and reports within the deadlines etc.
- Publication activities in the aforementioned disciplines will be considered an advantage
- High motivation for research work and ability to work independently
- Eager to disseminate research results through publications and presentations at international conferences.
- Good written and oral English language skills.
- Good presentation and documentation (Word and LATEX) skills.
- Good programming skills.
Preferred selection criteria
- Experience with at least one of these: social sensing, behavior and sentiment analysis, data mining, data fusion, modeling social interactions etc.
Applicants should be/have:
- Independent, self-driven and responsible personality
- Strong teamworking and collaborative skills
- Curious, eager and willing to learn new knowledge, pushing beyond conventional boundaries
- Ability to contribute to academic discussions and innovative research/project activities
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and administrative staff
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 479 600 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years, connected to the duration of the research project.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Information Security and Communication Technology (https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phisct) within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no.
Application must include:
- A cover letter (1 page) explaining your motivation and how your skills and experience relate to the research focuses of the position.
- A draft research proposal outlining a possible approach for the position (2 pages).
- CV with list of publications and other supporting documents (as proof of the candidates’ study and language abilities)
- Relevant transcript of grades, diplomas, and certificates. The documents have to be translated to English.
- A copy of the master thesis (in PDF), or, for those who are near to completion of their MSc, an extended abstract combined with a statement of how and when the applicant plans to complete the thesis.
- Contact details of two referees preferably from academic supervisor(s).
Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement (for European Master Diplomas outside Norway) or a similar document that describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Gjøvik has a population of 30 000 and is a town known for its rich music and cultural life. The beautiful nature surrounding the city is ideal for an active outdoor life! The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Sule Yildirim-Yayilgan, telephone +47 46 62 31 72, email; email@example.com, Erjon Zoto, e-mail; firstname.lastname@example.org or Mohamed Abomhara, e-mail; email@example.com . If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Stine Terese Ruen Nymoen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 2020/18786 when applying.
Application deadline: 31.07.2020
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Information Security and Communication Technology
Research is vital to the security of our society. We teach and conduct research in cyber security, information security, communications networks and networked services. Our areas of expertise include biometrics, cyber defence, cryptography, digital forensics, security in e-health and welfare technology, intelligent transportation systems and malware. The Department of Information Security and Communication Technology is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Deadline 1st July 2020
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Campus Gjøvik