NTU Main Campus, Singapore
The Asian School of the Environment is looking for a candidate to join them as a Research Assistant.
The Research Assistant (RA) will be responsible for running analytical chemical measurements of field-collected samples in the laboratory, and also for participating in field work to collect marine samples for analysis. The RA will primarily focus on running and maintaining the following analytical instruments: SEAL AA3 segmented flow autoanalyser for low-level measurements of dissolved nutrients in seawater; Apollo SciTech analysers to measure seawater total alkalinity and dissolved inorganic carbon; Shimadzu TOC-L system for low-level dissolved organic carbon analysis of seawater. The RA will further be involved in regular sample collection expeditions within Singapore and possibly abroad. These will chiefly involve collecting and processing water samples on board small boats. The RA will be expected to contribute to the logistical planning for field work. Moreover, the RA will contribute to the overall practical management of the laboratory (health & safety, ordering consumables, training students, etc.).
Run and maintain analytical instruments in the lab Develop / refine analytical methods where needed Collect and analyse seawater samples for biogeochemical parameters Contribute to general laboratory management and logistics Supervise / train students and other in-coming group members
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognised institution in any branch of science
- Prior experience in analytical chemistry, ideally of environmental samples (e.g. seawater, freshwater, or soil)
- Ideally, experience of undertaking scientific field work, especially in a marine discipline
- Ability to rapidly learn new concepts in marine chemistry, and to fully understand the underlying principles of all analytical techniques
- Ability to SCUBA dive would be desirable, but not essential
Key Competency requirements
- Strong skills in analytical chemistry, and ability to set-up / develop analytical methods
- Interest in marine chemical and biogeochemical processes
- Ability to work on small coastal boats
- Very good command of spoken and written English
Please note that only shortlisted candidates would be notified.
Hiring Institution: NTU