Postdoctoral Position in Market Modelling, Characterisation and Business Assessment
About the position
Applicants are invited for a two-year position as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of Electric Power Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway. The candidate will be part of an Electricity Market and Energy System Planning (EMESP) research group.
The available position is linked to the ERA-NET cofounded project called HONOR- Holistic flexibility market integration of cross-sectoral energy sources. The project is coordinated by TU Dortmund, and project consortium comprises project participants from Denmark, Sweden and Norway.
The primary HONOR project objectives are to develop and evaluate a trans-regional flexibility market mechanism and integrate cross-sectoral energy flexibility at a community-wide level. The specific developments include a market mechanism for grid flexibility, industrial-grade supervision solutions, data-driven state monitoring applications and cyber-security assessments. In order to develop a tailor-made as well as the replicable solution, community stakeholders will be involved through co-creation activities as well as stakeholder networks from Norway, Germany and Denmark, and Sweden. Complementing the economic and risk evaluation, simulation studies of flexibility operations and cyber-security assessments, the operation of control systems algorithms and the online monitoring and detection solutions will be implemented as a demonstration in a relevant environment. The sector-coupling market mechanism will be implemented and demonstrated in an operational environment in Wunsiedel (Germany).
The position reports to Head of Department.
Duties of the position
The duties of the position include the following items:
- During the employment period, the candidate will work together with the international project consortium, and therefore good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a complex, international project team is expected
- The candidate is expected to work towards combining knowledge in development and integration of models in response to the coupling of different energy carriers and to assess the effects of future market design for TSO-DSO interaction.
- The results of the project are expected to be published in scientific journals and conferences and presented to research partners and user partners in HONOR consortium.
- The candidate may be involved in teaching duties, and supervision of Master and PhD students upon mutual agreement if required
Required selection criteria
A postdoctoral research fellowship is a qualification position in which the main objective is the qualification for work in academic positions.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in an Electrical Power Engineering, managerial economics with a focus on energy or computer science, physics or mathematics with specialisation in operations research. Only applicants with an approved doctoral thesis and public defence are eligible for appointment.
- Applicants must demonstrate research ability in electricity markets, smart grids, and operations research or optimisation or other related fields
- Excellent programming skills preferably in Phyton
- Relevant industry experience may be an advantage.
- Academic results, publications, relevant specialisation, work or research experience, personal qualifications, and motivation and a desire to make an impact on critical societal problems will be considered when evaluating the applicant
- Applicants must have excellent English language skills, written and spoken. Applicants from non-English speaking countries outside EU/EEA/Switzerland must provide preliminary documentation of English language proficiency, in terms of an approved test. The following tests can be used: TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
Further assessment of both written and oral English language skills and the ability to communicate fluently will be conducted in the continued selection process and during any interviews for the shortlisted applicants.
If for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognising that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality, according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability.
- Be structured, targeted and solution-oriented;
- The successful candidate will be a team player in a group with the project consortium, professors, researchers, PhDs and scientists from the industrial sector
- Self-driven with a strong ability to work independently when required
- Proven ability to work with an interdisciplinary team
- Have good dissemination skills
- Personal skills like a positive and friendly attitude, and contributing to a sustainable social environment will also be valued
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The employment period is two years. The starting date is somewhat negotiable between September 2020 and January 2021. Due to the current uncertain situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, the starting date may be changed to adapt to decisions of the Norwegian Directorate of Health.
Postdoctoral candidates are placed in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from 542 400 NOK per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is fully funded by the Research Council of Norway.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- A cover letter where the applicant describes the personal motivation, summarising scientific work, and how the applicant sees her/his background suitable
- A draft research proposal (1 or 2 pages) for the postdoctoral career, where the candidate presents her/his ideas for the postdoctoral work and how it can be applied, based on the project description given in this advertisement. This proposal will be neither final nor binding for the project.
- CV (summarising education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity).
- Copies of educational certificates, academic transcript of records and letters of recommendation. Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement (https://ec.europa.eu/education/diploma-supplement_en ) or a similar document, which describes in detail the study programme and grading system.
- A publication list, including citation rates according to Google Scholar or Web of Science. Highlight up to five of the most significant and relevant publications.
- The required documentation of English language proficiency.
- Names and contact information of at least two references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number).
In assessing the applications, emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications, the cover letter and the ideas and/or originality of the draft research proposal in shortlisting of candidates. Interviews with the best-qualified candidates will be arranged.
Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to complete the project in the course of the period of employment.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU.
The Department of Electric Power Engineering works closely with key players in the Norwegian electricity supply sector, which manage critical infrastructure. A comprehensive risk assessment of the candidates' research interests and potential activities related to national threat assessments will therefore also form basis for the final selection of candidates.
In the final assessment of the candidates also strategic considerations at the Department of Electric Power Engineering will be taken into account
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 2020/17804 when applying.
Application deadline: 21.08.20
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Electric Power Engineering
The Department of Electric Power Engineering is one of the seven departments at the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering. Our department is Norway’s leading in the field, and our vision is to be at the centre of the digital, green shift. We have excellent collaboration with business and industry as well as other universities and research organizations internationally. This gives us outstanding opportunities for interdisciplinary research with high relevance for the society, addressing industrial needs and global challenges.
Deadline 21st August 2020
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Campus Gløshaugen