Scientific Director, Cancer Research
Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is an emerging research university that acts as a catalyst for positive change in Qatar and the region while having a global impact.
To lead in research project management, infrastructure development, strategic planning and scientific investigation on cancer research.
Key Result Areas:
- Develop five and 10-year master plans and an implementation approach, and provide recommendations on the niche areas of cancer research for Qatar Biomedical Research Institute (QBRI).
- Prepare and lead in implementing the annual budget and business plan for the Cancer Research Center at QBRI to ensure its strategic objectives are met.
- Develop and implement project management activities, programs and initiatives for setting up the center's infrastructure and laboratory facilities to ensure set project targets are met.
- Lead scientists and researchers and work together to develop new methods, demonstrate clinical feasibility, and help deliver new and relevant solutions to high priority areas in cancer research.
- Liaise with HBKU or other QF directorates on required support, budget and other project resources to ensure timelines, and quality and budget targets are met.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the safe conduct, compliance and regulatory issues of scientific research in biomedical research.
- Develop research communication and multidisciplinary research programs with synergies for ongoing research to achieve an international standard for science and research activities.
- Provide support and advice to other researchers at the Cancer Research Center to ensure they achieve their targets.
- Proactively develop collaborative relationships with existing research partners in Education City, other research institutions, pharmaceutical partners, government officials and religious leaders to highlight the Cancer Research Center's input on research ethics, policy and local regulations.
- Establish relationships with international research institutions to perform independent assessment of the Cancer Research Center's scientific research activities.
- Identify, recruit, develop and motivate a team of scientists to carry out research for approved programs in line with QBRI’s vision and mission.
- Oversee and/or actively participate in basic and applied research at the Cancer Research Center to ensure the center achieves its mandate and capacity building program targets.
- Conceptualize and undertake activities to seek and secure external funding for research activities to complement resources and funding by QF.
- Prepare progress reports to update QF-Research Division and cross functional teams on project and center performance, activities, etc., and identify and recommend improvements.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
- Work is performed in a standard office and laboratory environment. Compliance with research protocols and procedures of HBKU, QBRI, and other local and international regulations is required.
- Must comply with QF health, safety, and environment policy as well as legal regulations applicable to areas of responsibility.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Executive Director - formal reporting on ongoing projects, request for approvals and feedback.
- HBKU President's Office - contact as needed for funding requests, budget and approval of plans, programs, projects and research progress and performance reporting.
- Project Team, Principal Investigators and Researchers - frequent contact to follow up on projects, status updates, approvals and feedback.
- HBKU or QF Directorates - contact as needed for support with resources.
- External Partners - contact as needed for collaborations, networking and sharing of information.
- National and governmental agencies - contact as needed for approvals, developing and setting up research compliance protocols and procedures where needed.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Proactively identifies problems that are inhibiting meeting the organization’s objectives
- Encourages both individuals and teams to solve problems through empowerment and effective delegation and review mechanisms
- Ensures the allocation of resources and invests in people and tools to optimize problem solving and decision making efforts
- Overcomes obstacles and facilitates information flow to support effective problem solving across the organization.
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Applies judgment to decide when to make swift decisions even in the absence of all necessary information
- Arrives at sound and timely decisions, based on past experience and an understanding of the current business environment and projected changes
- Considers the impact of decisions on various stakeholders and takes this into account
- Delegates decision making as appropriate to encourage and facilitate empowerment
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- PhD degree in a relevant field of biomedical/life sciences
- 15 years of relevant full-time work experience, five of which have been in a senior research leadership position.
- Strong working knowledge of clinical, medical and biomedical research, focusing on cancer
- Proven and internationally recognized track record in managing research centers, with knowledge of research tools, procedures and protocols and technologies for biomedical research
- Strategic thinker with the ability to conceptualize ideas through a detailed master plan
- Project management experience with the ability to manage budgets and implement change
- Process oriented and metrics driven in managing administrative functions
- Strong leadership, people management, collaboration, team building and development skills
- Philosophy and reputation for thriving in a highly diverse, multi-cultural environment
- Ability to raise funds for research work and programs
- Superior knowledge in biomedical trends and research and development
- Knowledge of FDA, other local and international regulations for biomedical devices, drug development and clinical studies.
How to Apply:
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled. Shortlist will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.