Research Assistant, Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine
NTU Main Campus, Singapore
Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine invites applications for:
Research assistant in the Laboratory of Foo Jia Nee.
Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (LKCMedicine) established in September 2010 is a partnership between Imperial College London and Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. The School operates from two campuses – Yunnan Campus at Nanyang Technological University and a new campus to be built at Novena. Our primary healthcare partner is the National Healthcare Group (NHG) which comprises an integrated network of primary healthcare polyclinics, acute care hospitals such as Tan Tock Seng Hospital, and national specialist centres. LKCMedicine delivers a new five-year undergraduate medical programme leading to a joint MBBS degree awarded by Imperial College London and Nanyang Technological University.
We are a research laboratory focused on the genetics and genomics of neurological diseases, funded by a National Research Foundation (NRF) fellowship. For more information, please visit:
We are recruiting highly motivated individuals with a strong interest in human disease genetics and/or neuroscience for the position of research assistant in our lab. These positions are also suitable for individuals with plans to pursue a PhD degree in life sciences. Our lab is currently based at Genome Institute of Singapore, A*STAR, Biopolis, but will relocate partially to the Clinical Sciences Building in the LKCMedicine Novena campus in the near future.
Responsibilities may include:
- DNA extraction, quality control and library preparation for next generation sequencing (NGS)
- Tissue cutting & processing, flow cytometry, immunostaining and confocal microscopy for single cell isolation
- Evaluating and optimizing new and existing methods of NGS library preparation and single cell DNA or RNA sequencing
- Documenting results and outcomes of experiments, troubleshooting, preparing reports, participating in discussions.
- Assisting in administrative duties such as procurement of laboratory equipment and consumables, laboratory safety and risk assessment, discussion with vendors, and general lab maintenance
- Organizing and maintaining database of DNA and tissue/brain samples
- Assisting senior researchers in their work
Skills and qualifications:
Candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree in biochemistry, biotechnology, biomedical or life sciences.
Applicants should have:
- At least 1 year of previous research experience in routine molecular and cell biology techniques
- Prior work experience with NGS library preparation (Illumina) or single-cell sequencing platforms will be preferred
- Well-organized with good technical and communication skills
- Ability to work well independently and also effectively as part of a team
- Some basic knowledge in bioinformatics and coding (perl, R, java, python etc) will be an advantage.
If you are interested to pursue a career with the School, please apply with your cover letter, CV and names/contact details of two referees at your earliest convenience. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Hiring Institution: LKC