Salary: The University offers an attractive reward package including a competitive starting salary and access to an attractive pension scheme
Closing date: 14 July 2020
As Northern Ireland’s civic university, Ulster University is grounded in the heart of the community and strives to make a lasting contribution to society. Renowned for its world-class teaching and research, Ulster aims to transform lives, stretch minds and develop the skills required by a growing economy while the outcomes of our research have global significance with local relevance, and contribute to the social, economic and cultural advancement of our region.
Ulster University has approximately 27,000 students and 2,700 staff across four campuses in Northern Ireland - Belfast, Coleraine, Jordanstown and Derry ~ Londonderry (Magee). Our multi-campus operation means we are the only University with a provision outside of Belfast and this gives us a unique mission in Northern Ireland and we are committed to ensuring we maintain and expand our provision on our Belfast, Coleraine and Magee campuses.
This is both a challenging and exciting time for Ulster University. Amongst other things:
- Steering through a range of challenges, from potential sectoral re-imagining of post COVID university operations, to the regional mission and ensuring Ulster University plays its full part as a key economic driver in a post-BREXIT Northern Ireland.
- Completing an iconic new campus in the heart of Belfast, to which we will move most of our current provision at Jordanstown, with a vision to promote a creative, innovative, transformative and vibrant environment that will stimulate, inspire and add value to the core activities of teaching and learning, and research and innovation.
- Executive approval of the Graduate Entry Medical School at our Magee Campus in Derry ~ Londonderry is hailed as a game changer for the North West, as it will attract graduates to study, work and live in the area and will train new doctors and help to address the ongoing medical work-force shortage in Northern Ireland; and
- we are working with local education providers in the Coleraine area to use our campus as a location for a new post-primary school and in doing so pioneer locally a novel educational partnership approach successfully adopted in other countries across the world.
We are seeking to appoint a Vice-Chancellor with the vision, commitment and credibility to lead the University through a period of significant opportunity and change. You will develop and embed improved ways of working and promote new behaviours linked to the University’s values of Integrity, Collaboration, Enhancing Potential and Inclusion.
- Providing leadership in taking forward the University’s current strengths in learning and teaching, and positioning this at the highest level nationally and internationally.
- Providing leadership in identifying, sustaining and enhancing the University’s development of world leading and internationally recognised research and innovation, and its impact, through strategic partnerships and knowledge transfer.
- Providing vision and leadership, in delivery of the University’s strategic plan in the context of the strategic direction set by the Council; establishing relevant performance targets for the University, continually review operational plans, making appropriate adjustments.
This position will be challenging, empowering and fulfilling. It will offer an experienced and inspirational leader the opportunity to guide and direct the strategy to fulfil Ulster University’s ambition and deliver an outstanding experience for our students, staff and partners.
For a full candidate briefing document on the role or for a confidential discussion please email Joanne McAuley on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07834321139 quoting reference number 20028
Submission is by application form and a cv can be submitted as supplementary information, the closing date is Tuesday 14th July at 5pm.
Ulster University is an equal opportunities employer and Clarendon Executive will be working in partnership with the university.